NATO - Dutch Campaign - Early surrender

Euri

The "early surrender" issue is pretty common.

I understand the easy fix is to design enemy reinforcements that would appear only AFTER the clock has run out - but since the AI considers those never arriving reinforcements as part of the overall points calculation, it won't surrender so fast.

Is that correct? If so, why don't we see more scenarios using this "trick."

It's so much more satisfying to win by getting all the objectives even if it's easier/a walkover at the end. It's like a reward for being successful imo.

Believe it or not, the scenario times were lengthened to allow players more time to accomplish their objectives than was necessary for a good player to do it in. It's the opening mission and the design was to have an easy one to ease the player into the campaign. The three NATO forces are all unique and so we didn't think you guys would mind having a fairly easy start to familiarise yourselves with the Dutch kit. If you go adding reinforcements that never arrive to prevent what's onboard during the mission from surrendering, some folks who are not such good players will not be able to complete the missions without taking unnecessary casualties and that would defeat the purpose of extending the mission length. In fact you should find that most of the missions in these campaigns have 2 hour time limits to allow players plenty of time to accomplish their missions. Really good players shouldn't complain if they win the mission well inside the time limit. ;)

Besides. it doesn't always feel real to have the Syrian Regular forces fight to the last man. Armies have a tendency to throw in the towel when they perceive that further resistance is futile. (UNCONs, Republican Guards, Special Forces and Airborne are a different matter though but there are none of these in this mission.) In fact, IIRC, you are facing a Conscript force with Poor morale in this one. they're practically looking to surrender to you from the get-go. :D

PT: Thanks... I'm glad that you considered all this in your Campaign. It makes sense.

However, I have played many standalone scenarios that would benefit from the enemy fighting on a bit longer. So, it's just my personal plea to all designers to at least consider this.