PCI Cards

Hi,

Its seems that all graphics cards have AGP technology in them, will a Pine 32mb TNT 2 PCI card display fog and smoke? Has anyone had any problems with this card(this is the one I am looking to upgrade to). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

JAK

I'm not familiar with the Pine brand. The card is based on the NVidia TNT2 (and there are several variants of that chip that perform differently). You should be able to see fog fine as far as I know with that chip. Make sure that "enable fog table emulation" is checked in your control panels for the display (under the DirectX options I believe).

I don't know about any quality concerns regarding this particular brand of card. Most of the manufacturers out there base their designs straight off of the Reference Design from NVidia. The only question usually is one of quality components, manufacturing process and warranty/support. The TNT2 chip comes in several flavors such as M64, Vanta, standard (usually no additional nomenclature is mentioned) and Ultra (there might be some more, but I can't recall). This listing is basically from slowest to fastest. The memory that comes with the card also makes a difference, but the chip nomenclature should be fine as a rough guide to performance.

Agua,

nVidia makes graphics chipsets, but does not make graphics cards themselves. They realize that actual end user support is a black hole for profits, so they just sell the makings to chip makers who then make and support the cards sold to consumers.

So my Inno3d GeForce2 MX is nearly identical to the AsusTek GeForce2 MX. And the TNT2 he is speaking of is just as much as an nVidia as a GeForce3.

Regarding PCI video cards, there is really no reason to go higher than a TNT2 Ultra. You can get GeForce2 MX PCIs, but the PCI slot limits their bandwith so much that it is not worth the extra $50 or so. I would advise getting 32mb of RAM on the card.

A good place to shop online is www.pricewatch.com .

WWB