CM:SF - Slight patch confusion.

Apache

Eagerly awaiting the release of CM:Normandy I have decided to get CM:SF and the British module. As such I'm a LITTLE confused over the patching that's needed. Essentially I want to go the shortest route for obvious reasons.

I can see that I perhaps could patch to 1.11 then 1.21 etc etc but, if I have just the original Paradox game, unpatched, can I just install the Mod and then 1.31?

Going through the site (and editing the post accordingly) it seems the shortest way is: Install Paradox game. Install British module and then patch to 1.21 from the British Forces patch link, finally patching to 1.31.

It's a little confusing because under the purchase info for British Forces is states the game must be patched to 1.10 yet under the Paradox patch section it states you do not need these patches if you have CM:Sf with ANY other module installed???? What makes it more confusing is that if you select the patch link to 1.21 from under the British Forces module section it takes you to a 1.31 patch link?? There is a sub clause using 1.21 first but the link to that takes you back the original 1.21 link saying that you need the BF game and a module so you end up going round and round in circles???

So, to be clear, you have the Paradox version of CMSF and the British Forces module. You need to install them like this:

1. Install Paradox CMSF, you will probably be at version 1.01 to 1.07.

2. Download Paradox (Retail) 1.10 patch.

3. Install the 1.10 Paradox CMSF patch.

4. Launch CMSF and double-check that you're at version 1.10.

5. Install British Forces module.

6. Launch CMSF and you should be prompted to license the British Forces module.

7. Launch CMSF and confirm that you are now at version 1.20 and that the CMSF Stryker and British Challenger icons are in the lower left hand corner of the main screen.

8. Download the 1.21 patch.

9. Install the 1.21 patch, make sure to make the selection for updating 'CMSF + British module'. If you make a wrong selection here the British Forces content may disappear or you may be asked to license a module you don't have when you launch CMSF again. If that happens, reinstall the 1.21 patch and make sure to select the correct modules to update.

10. Launch CMSF and confirm that you're at version 1.21 and that you can still see the correct icons in the lower left hand corner of the main screen.

11. Download the 1.31 patch.

12. Install the 1.31 patch and again make sure to update 'CMSF' + 'British Forces'.

13. When you launch CMSF you should now be at version 1.31 and ready to go.

If you install the Marines module, it typically installs the 1.10 patch content and thus would be unnecessary. However, the Marines + British Forces module bundle DOES require the patch since it does NOT include all of the content of the 1.10 patch. If you do not install the Marines module in any way, then you will need the 1.10 patch in almost every instance.

The British Forces module needs CMSF patch to at least version 1.10 BEFORE installing, as noted in the red-colored text in the Battlefront Store listing for CMSF British Forces module.

Thanks. I'll just do that I think. I think it's the red text at the top of page re the 1.10 patch page that confuses it, indicating that the patch is not needed if ANY module is installed, giving Marines as an option:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1214&Itemid=378

PS: Last minute change of plan. I've gone for the NATO module, mainly to familiarise myself with the controls under CMX2 while waiting for Normandy :-)

I have to say the site is VERY VERY confusing about all this and there is some contradictory information.

Essentially i wonder what would happen if you just bought the 'out the box' Paradox version and installed NATO? Would that work OK? Would the NATO module install and/or what would it patch the game to? Or would it just not load?

Main problem is:

1) NATO module says game must be patched to 1.21

2) Page provides a link to 1.21 which takes you to full version history

3) Selecting CMSF takes you to the list of patch versions

4) Going to the Paradox section shows it seems to be OK to install the 1.10 update provided you don't have the Marine Mod.

5) Selecting then patch 1.21, again under Paradox (and this is where it gets confusing), suggests that you don't need this patch if you have ANY module. The site says such as Marines or British but maybe this should actually read ONLY Marines or British as it SEEMS you are prompted to use the free 1.21 if you have a module. The information guide goes on to stress that if you even plan to buy and install a module you do not need this 'paid for' patch as the module automatically upgrades the game, but then you come back to the guidance that NATO module cannot be installed until you get to 1.21. Kind of a Catch 22.

I tend to think that maybe the guidance has been written incrementally (understandably) and doesn't take into account people who MAY just buy (now) a Paradox boxed version and just the NATO module. That's the position I'm in and it gets very confusing to be honest.

A lot of information was probably written when the Marine module was one of the only modules available. When British Forces came out most of the information was still correct, except when the 'bundle' was created for 'Marines + British Forces', which did not have all of the 1.10 content.

The Paradox version of CMSF is a bit of a special case. Paradox stopped supporting CMSF awhile ago, so they didn't release any patches newer than 1.20. If you purchase either the Marines or British Forces modules this isn't a problem, but if you ONLY purchase the NATO module, then this is a problem. Your Paradox version of CMSF MUST be upgraded to 1.21 to work with NATO, so you would need to purchase the 'Paradox 1.21' patch, which converts your Paradox disc-based copy protection system to an eLicense one and patches CMSF to 1.21. At this point you can then install NATO and then finally patch to 1.31.

Thanks Schrullenhaft - very helpful as always :-) Figured it was likely down to further module releases combined with understandably outdated (in some respects) guidance pertaining to the patches. Was pulling my hair out out one point when I though I was on the right track only to find "you do not need this patch if............"!!!!! LOL.

To be honest the death by ATGM nature of modern warfare has zero appeal for me so am only buying into SF to get up to speed with engine changes and C&C etc. pending the Normandy release. So the plan is:

1) Patch to Paradox 1.10

2) Patch with Paradox 'paid for' 1.21

3) Install NATO

4) Patch to 1.31 (BF)

No problem, I did get a bit confused mind, even when my plan was to get the Brit module but I think with going through it time after time with the NATO module it got clearer. Maybe it was late also :-)

Might be worth updating the link when you select the 1.10 patch also as this states you do not need the patch if you have any other module, which some might, understandably, take to include the NATO module.

In another thread it seems I may need another patch in this sequence to get the YTC campaign?? Moon said it was 1.1 (have queried on the original thread) but to my mind 1.1 is the same as 1.10?? In any event I can't see a 1.1 anywhere and nothing giving a hint to which patch I need to get the YTC campaign from Paradox???

I have successfully (checked the version number each time) installed CMSF, patches 1.10 and 1.21, then NATO then 1.31. No YTC campaign though :(

Only flagging it here in case something needs amending in any patch guidance on the website for those who may just buy CMSF and NATO.

Ah..brilliant, thanks. Was going to ask if it could be mailed or whatever rather than going through the process of a full uninstall. It's also not clear what patch I would have needed. Did a search on Paradox/YTC etc but drew a blank, Google too. This will be the easier option by far.

• 1 year later...

I notice the info has changed now under NATO and just want to check, having unpacked most of my freight after emigrating, and before I go through the whole patching routine again.

Is the chronology of patches as listed above still the same if I JUST have CMSF and NATO or is it the case that I just need to pacth to 1.10 then instal NATO, 1.31 and 1.32? Mainly ask as all the patches are some hefty downloads and I have them all on a portable HDD which I can't find yet :-( I already bought the 1.21 Paradox patch once and, as I won't be unpacking more boxes for a while it looks like my only option is to pay again. I still have my 1.21 licence key so I'll see if there is a way to bring up any licencing options from the Paradox game first but I suspect that doesnt happen until you install the patch and to get the patch you need to pay.

Just checking in case things have changed at all. If I had JUST bought CMSF (Paradox) now, and NATO, do I STILL need to go through:

1.21 (Retail - and as I have the key already is there a way to bring up the licensing system)

Install Nato

As I have a retail licnsing key I also wonder if its easier to just download CMSF trial and run the licence key from patch 1.21 (Retail) on that and then install NATO or will the licence key from 1.21 not work that way?

Think I've sorted it. Went from the KB article here on re-installs: http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=181&nav=0,10,4

Installed Paradox game

Patched to 1.10

Patched to (regular) 1.21

Installed NATO - licensed base game and module with NATO key

Patched 1.31

Patched 1.32

Just want to check there will nothing that hasn't patched through going this route