IED's in CMSF

Was playing mission #2 in Canadian Campaign and I thought I had the IED problem licked... I reached the bridge with no casualties of any kind (I was amazed). I got to line up all my vehicles along the river bank to fire support while my infantry crossed with no problems at all.

(I did experiment by saving and replaying using all the inf movement speeds to see if anything triggered the IED - and no inf movement speed made the IED blow up.)

I tried the same expt. with vehicles (after only a squad of inf had crossed)... The IED would blow up when the (recon) vehicle crossed at any speed than FAST. But, after repeated tries using FAST, the IED never blew up. I figured, that's the trick, move FAST over suspected IED's.

So, after all my inf had crossed without mishap and were closing in on the buildings I started to cross vehicles on FAST. But, now, every time (I ran this saved game test multiple times), the IED would ALWAYS blow up.

Is there a trigger that would make the IED more likely to blow after all the inf were across. Or, what is happening here? (I recall that there is no way to clear IED's - even with engineers etc. Is that correct?)

In this mission there doesn't appear to be any triggerman or any enemy unit "nearby."

How close does he have to be - or is LOS sufficient regardless of distance? The weird thing is that (after a number of tests) sometimes I can run vehicles over the bridge with no explosion, other times it will explode every time.

So, no way to detect, or mark or disarm?

Ok... Thanks...

Wire – shortest distance (about 100m), 10% failure chance

Radio – medium distance (about 300m), requires line of

sight, 20% failure rate

Cell phone – long distance (about 600m), 10% failure

chance

Unless the guy is hiding close to the bridge, he must have been in the town with a cell phone.