G-36 Awesomeness! Takes on BRDM-2's!

c3k

What type of 5.56 rounds are used by modern western militaries? Are they armor piercing? I don't know how modern 5.56 AP rounds would stand up to the "bulletproof" glass equipped on 50 year-old BRDMs, or even if any of this is modeled in CMSF.

1) SS109, which has a steel core.

2) Not "armour piercing", but the next -best thing.

3) I don't know, but: "bulletproof glass" is a misnomer. It's "bullet resistant" or "ballistic" glass, and will be rated for a certain number of hits by certain calibres, after which it will fail. Peck away long enough with even an SMG and you'll cut through.

Having said that, pinging away at what is likely some fairly thick glass / lexan at nearly 100 meters with a rifle when the return fire will be 14.5mm sounds like a quick way to have one's widow collect a pension. Even if the windows were uncovered it strikes me as a desperation move. I'd hide and call in an airstrike.

Would be great if they gave us weapon selection for units and AFVs. Especially with modern AFVs having multiple weapon systems. So sick of seeing AFVs firing their AT rockets at infantry in open ground.

Also we got the Mr. Trigger Happy spotter in a sniper team who's apparent job is to fire as much as possible to help give their position away. :rolleyes:

One more time: WEAPON SELECTION

In my experience, Mr. Trigger-Happy virtually never rears his ugly head, so long as (1) the sniper team is sited more than 500 meters from the enemy and (2) the sniper team has a relatively close-range cover arc at all times except when a valuable target appears, at which time the cover arc is canceled or narrowed and lengthened to enclose the target, letting the sniper himself engage as appropriate.