Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Ammo Sharing

Waaarg

How is this applied in 1.3? And what tactically can you do with it and what are the limitations?

I currently use AT or sometimes in the case of the marines 1 of 3 fire teams as runners for ammo. But I have to do that x3 to re-fill an entire platoon engaged in heavy combat.

Is there any priority if the runners aren't able to use the ammo they grabbed? 2 man carbine team taking 7.62 and 40mm ammo.

With MG, HQ, and AT teams (and any 4ish man teams but those are the main ones I have to resupply). In the case of MG and HQ teams, mechanics wise it should be the same as infantry squads. But AT team ammos don't use a graph to represent ammo, the ammo is in the same category as special equipment. Can you use runners for them?

What about LAWS and such? If squads can't share special equipment (ie: AT Ammo), then this question is moot, but if they can....

And what are the thresholds for the 2 categories (if they both apply)? When does a squad look for ammo? In 1.2, all you had to do was wait for re-integration into the unit. This wouldn't come up much, but if there is a lull in the fighting and you expect a counter attack, topping off 40mm ammo is a good idea.

Thanks

There's so many sub-questions in this one that I'm not sure where to start (not even sure what the answers are for some, or if the questions are valid), but I'll just mention that AT missiles and rockets will be shared. I'm not sure if disposable launchers like LAW will be shared, as there is no separate launcher for them so you wouldn't be 'out of ammo' for them.

Also, ammo sharing is entirely automatic. A firing unit that's running low will start 'using' ammo from another nearby unit -not replenishing its stockpile but using. So a RPG team will get down to its last round and continue firing. if you click on an adjacent unit you'll see their ammo count go down one-by-one as the other unit fires. The only way to stop the process is to cancel the fire order or move the two units apart. This could be advantageous to the AI. The AI can't acquire on its own but if a depleted unit finds itself close to a unit with needed ammo its back in the fight again. :)

Ammo sharing just helped out in the NATO:Alamo battle.

I had two ground mounted Milan 3 teams. One had 0 missiles left, the other had 2. In the last second of the turn (WeGo), the 2 missile dropped, inexplicably, to 1 missile. The two teams were in adjacent, or nearly so, tiles. Thinking I'd found a bug, I saved the game. Dreams of free BF.C products danced through my imagination. In the first seconds of the next turn the 0 missile team became a 1 missile team.

The benefit was that I now had 2 teams capable of firing, rather than 1, wait for it to reload, then fire again.

I did not notice any status change other than the missile icon in the units' information screens.

Very slick.

Regards,

Ken

Ya I didn't know how the mechanics worked (that was answered nicely), so figured I'd cover the different situations. Since its more of a "I'm out, throw me a mag" situation which didn't occur to me, its not really a replacement for runners for the most part.

But for AT teams, keeping dedicated runners to re-stock them so they don't have to abandon a good firing position makes a lot of sense. Tactically moving up a HQ instead of withdrawing a squad or reducing combat firepower by splitting off runners is appealing as well.