On map artillery in first WWII game.

Notice I didn't call it Combat Mission:Normandy. ;)

Anyway shall we discuss the likelyhood of having each of the following on map as direct fire units in the game? Yes I know mortars are never really direct fire.

Some guesses

60mm mortars- 100%

Antitank guns-up to 88 and 90mm 100%

81mm mortars-95%

4.2" and 120mm mortars 10%?

75mm inf gun-99 %

105mm how 50% ?

150 mm inf gun? 75%?

150/155 mm how 10%?

others?

I'm sure the 25lber won't appear until the Commonwealth module providing they include large calibre on map artillery. I'm giving my guess as to chance of each weapon being included. I think the recoilless rifles weren't introduced into the US army until early 1945, but the German airborne had them.

Well I'd expect that at least the mechanized variants of large caliber weapon-systems to be represented. I'd be disappointed if they aren't.

Further along the expansion-tree I most certainly expect to see them (as it wasn't uncommon for arty to be used in a direct fire role), especially during hard city fights in the east.

I think the recoilless rifles weren't introduced into the US army until early 1945, but the German airborne had them.

Interesting. I didn't know much about it so I've just had a quick browse. The US recoiless was produced in number in early 1945, but the development started in 1943. I'd say that's a relatively long time from development to production wouldn't you? Especially considering the German tech already existed. What made me think about it - I was watching an episode of Band of Brothers, and I remember seeing the German recoiless rifle used in a direct fire role.

What made me think about it - I was watching an episode of Band of Brothers, and I remember seeing the German recoiless rifle used in a direct fire role.

Is that the "Carentan" episode? If so, what you were looking at was not an RR.

All I've read says that it was primarily used by paratroops, who were the ones to develop it.

Michael

Yep.

He's speaking the truth.

Primarily Fallschirmjägers that used those weapons. No more "I saw a scene from A bridge too far, and.. durr hurr..".

Speaking of untraditional guns:

I like the PAW 600. :D