Squad taking over as HQ?

Erwin

Weird phenomenon in a "Road To Dinas" scenario.

One of the regular inf squads is now called HQ. The bottom screen team info panel graphic looks like it's an HQ with 4 guys... But when you look on the play screen, you can see there are 8 guys in the squad.

There is an HQ for this squad, but it has taken casualties and cannot call in arty or air. Could the squad have picked up something important from the HQ? (However, the new "HQ" squad cannot call in arty or air either.)

From what I remember it is working as intended. Syrian platoons tend to be three squads with the platoon leader as the leader of one squad (as opposed to the usual western style of thee squads with a separate HQ team). If the platoon leader is killed, then the highest rank in the platoon who takes over may well be the squad leader of a separate squad. All working as intended. The only bug is that HQs are hard-coded to be single teams rather than multi-team squads, so the UI only displays the first team and you lose the info on the 2nd team of the squad.

Yes, this is indeed the way it is supposed to be, and it will also persist into the next battle in a campaign (unless your troops are fully remanned, of course). It is confusing at first, but you get used to it when playing the Syrians :D. Just for the sake of stating this, it happens with the Blue side as well, I have seen it. Particularly weird when a Marines squad turns into a platoon HQ and it looks like there are only 5 of the 13 men left...I have even seen a Jav team become a company HQ in the recently released campaign "Rolling Lords of War" by Field Marshal Blücher and Bulgaroktonos. Don't know what the rank of one of those Marines Jav gunners is, but I guess this also has to do with the fact that the unit is at the same organizational level as the missing or killed HQ unit (CO level in this case).