Glovepie enthusiasts, anyone?

HintJ

I finally got a laptop that can handle CMSF.

My old laptop died around ver 1.11.

So now it's up and running at 1.21! A quick run looks very good.

I'm going to have some free time tomorow, and I'm going to spend some time w/all my gadgets (microphones, keypads, etc) and set this sucker up to my speed.

I'm thinking about mic/headphones for voice commands, my N52 Nostromo, re-programming my extra mouse buttons, and maybe even resting a gamepad on my lap for who knows what!:D Maybe my slow,old brain can even handle real-time w/no pauses (probably not. But oh well . . . looking forward to being overwhelmed!)

Anyone else here use programs like glovepie in this game for voice commands or anything else?

Maybe not everyone knows about Glovepie?

http://glovepie.org/

Basically, it's a small program that runs a script while you run other games/applications.

I'm currently writing a scipt that takes advantage of a 5-button mouse and voice commands:

I'm scripting the extra mouse button 1 to the right mouse button (for free-looking), and the right mouse button will become the SPACEBAR, so that I can have a right button for drop-down orders menu, as in CMx1.

The extra mouse button 2 is a "push to talk" feature for voice commands. All the hotkey commands will become voice commands. I'm even putting in a *squech* sound when I push/release the 5th mouse button, like a real radio.

I'm considering the free version of Xpadder to program my gamepad to use as binoculars, and then I'll dangle the gamepad around my neck and use it exclusively for zooming in and free-looking w/the camera while my view is locked to a unit.

If anyone is interested, maybe I'll post the Glovepie script here when finished.

This here is just a rough-draft of some a sample script I run in Glovepie. It has some conflict issues with the keyboard command grid (like w/"Hunt" and "Face"), so don't expect this to run it perfectly. But I've got a good idea how to correct that

I'm also having real conflict issues re-assigning the right mouse button, so I used the XButton1 for orders. Not really necessary because the Spacebar is so convienient.

But I guess my whole point of posting this to to demonstrate how truly EASY it is to script for basic keymapping and voice commands in Glovepie.

/////////////Mouse Radio Button-put wave files into GlovePie folder

Microphone.Enabled = Mouse.XButton2

if pressed(Mouse.XButton2) then

PlaySound ("SquelchOn.wav")

endif

if released(Mouse.XButton2) then

PlaySound ("SquelchOff.wav")

endif

/////////////Mouse Drop-Down Orders Button

key.space = Mouse.XButton1

////////////General

Key.Escape = Said("Time out",5)

Key.Backspace = Said("Backspace",5)

////////////Unit Selection

Key.Equals = Said("Next Unit",5)

Key.Minus = Said("Previous Unit",5)

Key.Tab = Said("Lock Unit",5)

Key.F12 = Said("Last Unit",5)

////////////Movement Orders

Key.Backslash = Said("Reverse",5)

Key.B = Said("Move Fast",5)

Key.J = Said("Move Slow",5)

Key.I = Said("Move Quick",5)

Key.K = Said("Hunt",5)

Key.N = Said("Move",5)

////////////Combat Orders

Key.T = Said("Target",5)

Key.J = Said("Clear Target",5)

Key.G = Said("Face",5)

Key.O = Said("Target Arc",5)

Key.L = Said("Target Smoke",5)

Key.Y = Said("Target Light",5)

Key.Delete = Said("Clear target",5)

////////////Special Orders

Key.LeftBracket = Said("Dismount",5)

Key.Semicolon = Said("Pop Smoke",5)

Key.Comma = Said("Aquire",5)

Key.P = Said("Pause",5)

Key.H = Said("Hide",5)

Key.RightBracket = Said("Open Up",5)

Key.Slash = Said("Deploy",5)

The grid conflicts are solved w/macros. For example, the commands "face" and "Hunt":

if said("Face", 5) then

Key.F6 = true

wait 10ms

Key.F6 = false

wait 10ms

Key.G = true

wait 10ms

Key.G = false

end if

if said("Hunt", 5) then

Key.F5 = true

wait 10ms

Key.F5 = false

wait 10ms

Key.K = true

wait 10ms

Key.K = false

end if

...demonstrate how truly EASY it is to script..."

AAAAAAARGH!

Remind me to demonstrate how truly easy it is to win DOD contracts. (Yes, it's all in the mind.)

Well, maybe I should be clearer.

You can download Glovepie, extract it, run the program as administrator, then copy and paste my code into the window of Glovepie, hit the RUN button, and then it works! You may need to remove these lines if you don't make your own "SquelchOn.wav" and "SquelchOff.wav" sounds:

if pressed(Mouse.XButton2) then

PlaySound ("SquelchOn.wav")

endif

if released(Mouse.XButton2) then

PlaySound ("SquelchOff.wav")

endif

If you want to, you can change the keys to be pressed--or the words you want to say--in the Glovepie window (or even in Notepad.)

(You may need to train Windows to recognize your voice better from the control panel, first)--Vista and Win7 have a voice recognition built in, or you may need to download this:

http://www.chant.net/downloads/sapi51.exe

I'm just scratching the surface of Glovepie's potential. I've replaced my use of Autohotkey (for key re-mapping) and Shoot! (for voice commands) with it.

So many people initially freaked out about the GUI of CMSF when it was released, but nobody considered using Glovepie to customize the GUI!

This next weekend will be a long one for me; I'll complete the script, and present a fully-working example, with instructions on usage and customization.

Yes, apologies. I didn't realize you simply meant copy and paste. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm one of the people that need crayon level instructions. (And I have worked with computer programmers and on DOD contracts!!)

:(

Er... and now I have figure out what Glovepie actually does. I only read your comment that I thought was saying how easy programming is... The content of your post went over my head lol.

First, what kind of application is Glovepie?

According to the creator, Carl Kenner, with Glovepie you can:

"Control games and applications any way you want. Send fake keyboard keys, joystick actions, mouse moves, midi input or speech input to any program. Use a VR Glove, Wiimote, SIXAXIS, Emotiv Epoc, keyboard, joysticks, mice, touchpad or a microphone to control any program."

Sounds pretty cool! And it is!

Before you start using speech recognition, you need to go to the Speech Recognition options in the control panel, and train your computer to recognize your voice better. This obviously requires a microphone, and you may need to install SAPI 5.1 if your PC doesn't have speech recognition:

http://www.chant.net/downloads/sapi51.exe

instructions:

1. Download GlovePIE http://www.glovepie.org/glovepie_download.php

2. Extract it anywhere on your computer.

3. Run GlovePIE

4. Copy+paste or load a Glovepie script into the main window (Glovepie scripts have a .PIE extention.)

5. Click the "Run" button to activate the script.

6. Start CM:SF (or whatever program you want to use it in)

7. The script will run until you press the "Stop" button.

For example, in CM:SF the escape key pauses the game. If you want the game to pause everytime you say "Time Out," you can type this in the script window of GlovePie:

Key.Escape = Said("Time out",5)

Of course, saying "Time Out" again will restart the game, so perhaps you should do it this way:

Key.Escape = Said("Time out",5) or Said("Continue Game",5)

Now when you say "Time out," the game pauses, and when you say "Continue game," it continues.

note--The 5 represents degree of confidence. Please refer the GlovePie Docs included w/the program.

Another great feature is that all keys can be remapped this way:

Key.A = Key.B

This way, everytime you type "B," GlovePIE sends "A" to the game.

The last feature I want to mention is Macros. From what I can gather, a macro is a series of key presses. For example,

if said("Hunt", 5) then

Key.F5 = true

wait 10ms

Key.F5 = false

wait 10ms

Key.K = true

wait 10ms

Key.K = false

end if

If the speaker says "Hunt," then the F5 key is pressed (true) for 10 miliseconds, then realeased, bringing up the Movement Commands. Then 10 miliseconds later the "K" key is pressed, selecting the face command. (If your hotkey file is different, just use whatever key you want.)

Really, GlovePie is amazingly simple to use. Stangely, GlovePie seems only really popular w/people that want to use a Wiimote on their PC! Google Glovepie and you must sift through tons of Wii crap.

Also, GlovePie has perhaps the most bizarre user-agreement I've ever read: Glovepie will not work in Israel, and it cannot be used for any military purpose, and you must commit to using green energy.

I'm a fiddler and a tweaker, and part-time programmer. I've heard of Glovepie and yet I've never really been inspired to install it.

Why? Because I find I can do all the tweaking I desire just with the game interface, 99% of the time.

Perhaps it's one of those things that once you start using, you never knew how you went without? Afterall, it IS frustrating when there are unmappable keys in a game. With GlovePIE, there would never be unmappables.

The voice commands sound cool, but again I think I'd save that for star trek or submarine games. Combat Mission seems to be more a "clicker" to me :D

I'm a fiddler and a tweaker, and part-time programmer. I've heard of Glovepie and yet I've never really been inspired to install it.

Why? Because I find I can do all the tweaking I desire just with the game interface, 99% of the time.

Perhaps it's one of those things that once you start using, you never knew how you went without? Afterall, it IS frustrating when there are unmappable keys in a game. With GlovePIE, there would never be unmappables.

The voice commands sound cool, but again I think I'd save that for star trek or submarine games. Combat Mission seems to be more a "clicker" to me :D

I've known about GlovePie for some time, but until recently I never used it. I saw a small tutorial on YouTube and and it suddenly occured to me how easy GlovePie is to use.

I've also used Autohotkey for key remapping, but Autohotkey will not work w/all games. GlovePie works with every single program I've tried!

I think you're right that Voice Recognition for CM:SF isn't more convienient than just pressing hotkeys. Perhaps using GlovePie for key re-mapping is more appropriate.

Another interesting feature I've found in GlovePie is the "Swallow" command:

"A very cool feature is that you can now swallow keys. When you swallow keys, other programs will not be able to read them. Only GlovePIE will be able to read them.

For example:

A = swallow(Left)

D = swallow(Right)

This means that when you press the Left arrow key the game won't receive the left arrow key, but it will receive the A key. If you didn't use swallow, the game would receive both the real key (Left) and the fake key (A)."

It seems the "Swallow" feature should be quite useful to prevent key assignment conflicts.