Interesting Discovery - Negative Consumption Equals Production.

hoolaman

If you set food consumption in the ruleset to a negative number per head of population, the city will actually produce food! To my mind this is a great discovery, allowing a city to be an asset rather than a burden if that is what the scenario maker wants.

However, the same trick doesn't work with oil. Could it be made to work? Could Iron be added too?

Perhaps the setting could be renamed to resource balance or something and have the negative mean negative (consumption) and the positive mean production?

If you set food consumption in the ruleset to a negative number per head of population, the city will actually produce food! To my mind this is a great discovery, allowing a city to be an asset rather than a burden if that is what the scenario maker wants.

However, the same trick doesn't work with oil. Could it be made to work? Could Iron be added too?

Perhaps the setting could be renamed to resource balance or something and have the negative mean negative (consumption) and the positive mean production?

I don't really like having players set negative values for consumption (because it's unintuitive), but I could add some consumption/production values to the system. I want some more generalized values not only for cities, but also for city-improvements, airfields, etc. Once the more generalized system is in place, users could do more interesting things like: have iron resources that produce iron ore, then cities could build steel mills that consume "iron ore" and produce "steel". Then, that steel would be a resource used in the construction of things.

I don't really like having players set negative values for consumption (because it's unintuitive), but I could add some consumption/production values to the system. I want some more generalized values not only for cities, but also for city-improvements, airfields, etc. Once the more generalized system is in place, users could do more interesting things like: have iron resources that produce iron ore, then cities could build steel mills that consume "iron ore" and produce "steel". Then, that steel would be a resource used in the construction of things.

Sounds awesome.

I agree negative consumption is a bit silly and very unintuitive, but its there.