German Rockets

I never seem to find the time nor the resources to research or purchase rockets when playing the axis and was wondering if it was possible I may be missing out. I am by no means a pbem veteran but I also have never come across an opponent who has had rockets as part of his arsenal. Are there any players out there who research and use rockets and if so, why?

I tried it a few times, but it isn't worth the cost. You can only build like 2 units of rockets and that isn't enough to compensate for the research cost necessary to make them effective. In fact, even if you exclude the research cost, they are far too expensive. On top of that, rockets cannot target units in cities and even with the research they are not effective against strategic targets due to the range penalty they receive. Perhaps if they were to remove the range penalty and reduce the cost they might become effective again.

Rockets can be awesome BUT you have to very very good at handling the rest of the german army so as to justify the investment. tanks and Tac air are better bang for the buck for all but the most skilled. Rambo , take it away.........

Ok, here's how Rockets work and they're not just for German model. Most scenarios start with a modest investment, perhaps one chit in rocket research, and if you get a hit for level one then you have range. Rockets can pound the enemy in any kind of weather so every turn usage is important because the thing that really makes rockets effective is experience. So the primary concern is deployment to capitalize on the every turn strike adavntage without losses. Places to consider are Sicily for Malta bombardments, Gibraltar, Finnish and Baltics coastlines, etc.

They are also very good at getting an HQ a lot of experience since there is no adverse effects, so use Manstein, Rommel, whoever and get them up to snuff and then redeploy and start over, think of it as training.

Ohh....and by the way.....training is an aspect for SC3....keep your new units at home for awhile, invest some MPPs and get them one medal of experience before you put them in "Harms Way".;)