Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

AFV junky

Mord

Throughout the Combat Mission series tanks have always seemed like the stars of the game. They get a lot of you guy's juiced and are considered the sexy show stoppers while other aspects of the equipment, personel and vehicle wise, are considered supporting roles.

For me, I always dug/dig some infantry on infantry action with some light armor thrown in. With CMSF I love the BMPs, LAVs, Sultans, Spartans and Strykers...in the old games Pumas, Greyhounds, Priests, Nashorns/Marders, armored cars etc. The weirder the better. Don't get me wrong...I like the tanks and tank destroyers, especially the WWII stuff..

But there's something about a squad of guys going toe to toe with a lightly armored vehicle that really excites me...A marine with an AT4 taking out a BMP or in the old days a shrek or zook vs just about anything really.

With NATO (Iam looking forward to the Marder I and YPR) coming it looks like we are gonna have some more cool AFVs to play with, and I at least know for CM:N we've got the Priest. So what non tank vehicles are you guys looking forward to playing with...or in CM:N's case hoping for? Are there other guys here that enjoy the AFV's as much or more than tanks?

Mord.

WORD. With CM2 infantry model this becomes an exciting prospect for WWII.

Yep. It's gonna be sweet. Been a long, long road waiting to get the fidelity of 1:1 infantry combined with WWII.

I can remember playing WBW's Fear In The Fog where a bazooka team had a nail biting, pants peeing duel with a panther (probably my all time favorite CM moment)...I can only imagine how much cooler this would look now, with 1:1.

I've enjoyed just using the 20mm guns instead of large caliber stuff.

I think for me it's partly the fragility of the lighter vehicles and the smaller weapons they field that makes it exciting...It also might be that as lethal as the modern battlefield is, it's a tad less lethal using say a LAV against some uncons, than if you bring in an Abrams. Not to mention enemy RPGs can put a hurtin' on a LAV or Stryker right quick. It's a nice balance that makes for some excellent moments in game.

Though I will say, heading back into WWII, it'll be nice to have tanks that can't kill with a 99% success rate on every hit...something that does make the Syrian tanks a bit more interesting.

Mord.

I'm not a big fan of Modern Era MBTs either. Although they are vulnerable to ATGMs I find that the fun in missions with tanks against enemy tanks-ATGMs ceases when one side loses their AT assets. (However, I have made a few of these myself.)

I found the Marines to be a lot of fun to play with without tanks. They have some interesting vehicles to play around with, and they could take on an armoured opponent. Same with the Brit Light Infantry and the IBCT. My all-time CMSF favourite vehicle is the Jackal. Tough, it ain't, but that's where the fun factor maxxes out for me.

When I played ASL, the scenarios I enjoyed playing the most were small ones that featured some infantry supported by a very small number of light vehicles, the smaller the better. A lot of folks got all excited playing with Tigers and Panthers. I preferred to play with some infantry supported by a truck with an AAA gun mounted on it. (Massive exception to the above: I LOVE Churchills) Once we get NATO finished, I want to devote a significant amount of my CM hobby time to making missions like this.

Scenarios, for myself, with small complements of armor/vehicles are the most enjoyable. It becomes a game within the game to keep them in areas of support while keeping them alive. Your judgement and execution can vary appreciably with a small force to work with. The thought of using a Panzer II, though it could be futile, in a supporting role to clear a village is exciting for me.

My favs has always been infantry centric battles with support vehicles. for WWII I prefer a Coy of Grenadiers with support of PAK-40, panzerfausts and a lone StuG III or Marder and some mortars with that.

In CMSF my favorite is Marines, just because they are infantry centric. and then a few LAVs and humwees and im drooling :)