$emocracy in Action

On another thread we were talking of extreme wealth being used to provide a favourable climate to the wealthy. This week an old case raised its head - the Wyly brothers from Texas.

They got caught about five years ago but returned what was thought to be the illegal gain and the Manhattan DA took no further action. Nice idea . if I get caught I return the value and avoid jail. That is a hell of a penalty. Anyway the SEC are now going after them. Change of administation removing their protection?

What has this to do with $emocracy? Read Palasts 2005 blast on the close relationship with Bush

http://www.gregpalast.com/give-it-back-georgernrndid-wyly-coyotes-ill-gotten-loot-buy-white-house/

As for the new prosecution

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2010/07/29/301721/wyly-brothers-accused-of-massive-insider-scandal/

So nothing has really changed since the Roman Empire then?

In the good ol' days you could buy Roman citizenship to get the vote & be protected from torture & whipping.

Of course it was massively expensive to do so - for non-citizen plebs who didnt' have the dosh it required 25 years service in the Auxiliaries - the non-citizen part of the army that was always first into the fight so the Legions (the citizens) didn't have to work too hard.

Back in 2002 the NY Times ran this piece on corruption through the ages.....

It seems the peasants are willing to tolerate a certain amount of it as long as their own lot continues to improve - or even a vast amount of it if their own lot improves markedly as well - "we" really don't give a rotund rodent's rectum who is ripping off the system as long as "we" are fat & happy too - bread & circuses all 'round eh what!

So nothing has really changed since the Roman Empire then?

It seems the peasants are willing to tolerate a certain amount of it as long as their own lot continues to improve - or even a vast amount of it if their own lot improves markedly as well - "we" really don't give a rotund rodent's rectum who is ripping off the system as long as "we" are fat & happy too - bread & circuses all 'round eh what!

Well, maybe. Since 1783 there have been a number of occasions in history where the ruling class of a nation has been lined up against the wall and shot. Only the wilfully ignorant could believe that it won't happen again, given the right set of circumstances. It seems to have been the impetus for the development of the social contract of noblesse oblige, one that the masses will hold the privileged to whether or not the privileged believe it exists.

Well 38 out of 403 is a start. But as it is not legally binding ......

Nice flag though

US billionaires pledge 50% of their wealth to charity

_48607727_48607728.jpg Microsoft founder Bill Gates started the campaign along with investor Warren Buffet

Thirty-eight US billionaires have pledged at least 50% of their wealth to charity through a campaign started by investor Warren Buffet and Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

They include New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, CNN founder Ted Turner and entertainment executive Barry Diller.

"The Giving Pledge" lists all the families and individuals who have committed to the project.

The site says the pledge is a "moral commitment" not a "legal contract".

The campaign was started in June to convince US billionaires to give away at least half of their fortunes either during their lifetimes or after their deaths.

"We've really just started but already we've had a terrific response," Mr Buffett said in a statement.

He added: "The Giving Pledge is about asking wealthy families to have important conversations about their wealth and how it will be used."

Those who pledge their money to "philanthropic causes and charitable organisations" must publicly state their intention through a letter of explanation.

Other billionaires who have pledged large sums of their money include film producer George Lucas, philanthropist David Rockefeller and oil investor T Boone Pickens.

"I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education. It is the key to the survival of the human race," Mr Lucas wrote in his Giving Pledge letter.

Enormous contributions The organisation says many of the donors have committed to donating sums far greater than the 50% minimum level.

Continue reading the main story “Start Quote

I've long stated that I enjoy making money, and I enjoy giving it away”

End Quote T Boone Pickens Oil investor

"While the Giving Pledge is specifically focused on billionaires, the idea takes its inspiration from efforts in the past and at present that encourage and recognize givers of all financial means and backgrounds," says Givingpledge.org.

Mr Buffet along with Mr Gates and his wife, Melinda, held numerous dinners with US billionaires in the past year to promote the campaign and urge America's financial elite to pledge.

"I've long stated that I enjoy making money, and I enjoy giving it away. I like making money more, but giving it away is a close second," Mr Pickens wrote in a letter on Givingpledge.org.

Mr Buffet, the chief executive of the investment firm Berkshire Hathaway, pledged 99% of his money to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and family charities in 2006.

Forbes Magazine estimated Mr Buffet's wealth at $47bn (£29bn) in March.

Bill Gates, who Forbes rates as the world's second wealthiest person, has also given away more than $28bn to his foundation.

There are 403 billionaires living in the US, according to Forbes

Costard that's not something new since 1783 - although the shooting bit was a recent innovation then.

Oppress people too much and they will kick back - all cultures, all times, all parts of the world. Heck even Roman slaves would "take" so much and no more - Spartacus's revolt came after a couple of large ones on Sicily in the 2nd C BC (known as the 1st and 2nd Servile Wars!).

But with about 30 years between each (135-132BC, then 104-102BC, then 73-71 for Spartacus) you'd have to think that a generation was about long enough for owners to forget that even slaves can get pissed off enough to risk everythng!