Screen Resolution... no higher than 1024x768??

Are you running Windows Vista or Windows 7 ? When you right-click on an executable or shortcut within those operating systems the popup menu should have an option for "Run as administrator". If it doesn't, then I'm not sure what is going on since that is one of the major changes that Microsoft implemented for Windows Vista and Windows 7 (User Account Control). In Windows XP the equivalent in the same popup menu is "Run as...", which allows you to run the program with a different account/credentials (and 'Run as administrator' isn't necessary for Windows XP).

I'm not familiar with Steam and how it works, but I assume that you should have normal desktop/menu icons to launch the games (or do you have to launch Steam and then launch it through some sort of interface that Steam provides ?). If you have to launch Steam and then launch the game through a Steam interface, then possibly launching Steam with the 'right-click' and 'Run as administrator' would be the thing to do (which would hopefully get passed onto TOW).