Version 1.01.10726 Available

Brit

Notable Changes and Fixes:

- Added the ability to build roads over water

- Added swamp terrain to the game

- Added impasssible terrain to the game

- Added 'show terrain under cursor' (on by default, can be changed in the preferences window)

- Fixed a crash that occurs in some scenarios

- Fixed a crash in the game if the ruleset is setup incorrectly

- Fixed a bug that would cause the game to stop during turn-processing and messup unit containment events

- Fixed a bug in the AI pathfinding

- Fixed a bug in the map-editor - when loading a new map, the labels from the old map stayed around

I'm going to try to get a new video out this weekend as well. Enjoy!

I am getting a strange error in the map editor now. When resetting the map size, I get some graphical glitches on the map. Small chessboard like patterns in the bottom part of the map as shown here:

eos_mapeditor_error01.png

If I then try to generate a new random map, the exe file just stops working ("Empires Of Steel executable has stoped working. Windows is looking for a solution to the problem"). Also, when readjusting the map size, the max/min values of the scrollbar controls don't change. You have to resize the window to update them.

When starting a game and using random generated map, everything seems to be working ok, regardless of map size.

Now, I have just upgraded my computer, so I am not sure if this problem is due to the new patch or my rig. It's Win7 64 bit and it has a ATI Radeon HD 5900 graphics card.

I have a +200 Mb dumpfile (generated manually from the Task Manager) if you're interested?

I am getting a strange error in the map editor now. When resetting the map size, I get some graphical glitches on the map. Small chessboard like patterns in the bottom part of the map as shown here:

Hm. You're right. I'm seeing them too if I resize the map. What seems to be going on is that the 'impassible' terrain is appearing there.

If I then try to generate a new random map, the exe file just stops working ("Empires Of Steel executable has stoped working. Windows is looking for a solution to the problem")... Now, I have just upgraded my computer, so I am not sure if this problem is due to the new patch or my rig. It's Win7 64 bit and it has a ATI Radeon HD 5900 graphics card.

I'm not seeing that problem. I wonder if this has something to do with your multicore system. I really need to buy a quad-core computer so I can run these kinds of tests. I can send you a copy of the last executable if you want to run a test. At least we could figure out if it's something in the latest version or if it's something with the new computer.

Okay, I tracked down and fixed this issue. I'll have to put out another update.

Update: I reproduced the crash. It's related to the visual glitch. When I ran the random map generator, it worked fine. But, if I resized the map and then ran the random map generator it crashed.

Yes, seems to work fine now! :)

How do you build roads across water? The road tool doesn't seem to want to connect across bodies of water.

When creating a road, hold down the left mouse button. Drag your mouse cursor from one land-mass to a second land mass. The road should suddenly appear between the landmasses when your cursor reaches the second landmass. (Note: this only works if the landmasses are relatively close together. I think they have to be within 100 pixels or something - which should be plenty for a bridge.)

When creating a road, hold down the left mouse button. Drag your mouse cursor from one land-mass to a second land mass. The road should suddenly appear between the landmasses when your cursor reaches the second landmass. (Note: this only works if the landmasses are relatively close together. I think they have to be within 100 pixels or something - which should be plenty for a bridge.)

Damn! Still not able to do it. I've tried on both random and custom created maps (to make sure the islands are close enough). It just draws down to the waterline then stop.

Since you are creating these new very difficult terrain types is there any chance you can add a road building capability to a unit? aka engineers.....

:)

If I want the game to work for other timeperiods (before the 20th century), I guess I'm going to have to add that. I'm not sure how much it will add to the game right now, though.

Damn! Still not able to do it. I've tried on both random and custom created maps (to make sure the islands are close enough). It just draws down to the waterline then stop.

Hm. I know that there's sometimes a bug with the road-building in the map editor. Occasionally, I can't build roads on new landmasses - but it only happens sometimes. I wonder if you're seeing that bug. I can clear up the problem by saving the map, leaving the map editor, and then reloading the map. I guess I should track down and fix that bug, since it's a problem in general.