Unit circle range?

jeep

What is the actual engagement range for the unit circle setting? Is this equal to 30?

I can tell that units (with this setting) engage well beyond the circle outside the base of the unit.

When a unit has 'unit' range, then the combat distance to the left and right is the 'zone of control' circle around the unit. But, the combat distance up and down is larger than the zone of control circle. Here's three infantry units in combat:

CombatDistance.png

All of the units are about 50 pixels from each other (as you can see by the box). It looks weird that the unit to the north of the German infantry is within combat range because it appears to be further away.

Ok, that explains it.

So is the unit circle range equivalent to a range setting of 50?

I was trying to reduce the ground attack range so that arty can have a bit more distance buffer away from the fight. If I set soft/armor attack ranges to 30, would that cause other issues?

Ok, that explains it.

So is the unit circle range equivalent to a range setting of 50?

I was trying to reduce the ground attack range so that arty can have a bit more distance buffer away from the fight. If I set soft/armor attack ranges to 30, would that cause other issues?

You should be able to setup artillery so that it has a distance of "Unit + 20" or something.

The main issue with units that "block and can be blocked" is that the attack range needs to be larger than the blocking range. If the attack range is shorter than the blocking range, then units will block each other (preventing each other from moving any closer), but can't attack. I believe the blocking range is somewhere around 35. You'd want an attack range larger than that. If a unit blocks and the unit he's fighting blocks, then it's easiest to just use the "Unit" or "Unit + X" attack range.

• 3 weeks later...