CM Normandy multiplayer

I don't see why it should be impossible, we have WEGO and we have TCP/IP, surely it's just a few extra lines of code to tie the 2 together ; )

It's been a while since it was discussed but my understanding is that it is the size of the files that would need to be transferred that will prevent any kind of WeGo TCP now. It is the #1 with a bullet on my wish list. The addition of no other feature would make me as happy as that would. Have you gotten to play any PBEM games? The files are enormous with CMSF. One game I have going now the files are 20mb and we haven't even engaged in battle yet. I've seen them as high as 70mb. That's a lot of data to transfer back and forth quickly enough to be tolerable.

It's been a while since it was discussed but my understanding is that it is the size of the files that would need to be transferred that will prevent any kind of WeGo TCP now. It is the #1 with a bullet on my wish list. The addition of no other feature would make me as happy as that would. Have you gotten to play any PBEM games? The files are enormous with CMSF. One game I have going now the files are 20mb and we haven't even engaged in battle yet. I've seen them as high as 70mb. That's a lot of data to transfer back and forth quickly enough to be tolerable.

Why would the netcode be designed to send saved games back and forth? Makes absolutely no sense. There are games that exist that have turn based multiplayer.. you're aware of that right? They don't use magic. Hell, some of the earliest MP games back to the DOS games were like this. Steel Panthers immediately comes to mind, and has the most applicability in this circumstance, and you could play that on a 14k modem.

As far as if its possible to just "add in a couple lines of code" - no. It would require a serious effort.

Why would the netcode be designed to send saved games back and forth? Makes absolutely no sense. There are games that exist that have turn based multiplayer.. you're aware of that right? They don't use magic. Hell, some of the earliest MP games back to the DOS games were like this. Steel Panthers immediately comes to mind, and has the most applicability in this circumstance, and you could play that on a 14k modem.

As far as if its possible to just "add in a couple lines of code" - no. It would require a serious effort.

The way previous CM games did TCP WeGo the turns were processed on the hosts computer and then sent to the client for viewing of the movie and then plotting etc...So it wasn't a "saved game" exactly but is was a similar type file. It has been a very long time since I played Steel Panthers via TCP (I think only the modern era one was available with TCP) but Steel Panthers was not WeGo so I wouldn't expect the information being transfer from one player to the other to be as much as with a WeGo game.

And yes. I am aware of other turn based games out there that are available for TCP. But I am not aware of any that are WeGo (I'm not saying there aren't any...just that I don't know them).

I don't see why big file sizes should prevent them from doing it, for those of us with decent broadband connections big file sizes are not a problem. And I know it's more than a "few lines of code", hence the ; ) after it, but I don't see why it should be a big enough effort to prevent it from being in CMN. Unless BF want to enlighten us with some information about why it isn't possible/too much effort

I don't see why big file sizes should prevent them from doing it, for those of us with decent broadband connections big file sizes are not a problem. And I know it's more than a "few lines of code", hence the ; ) after it, but I don't see why it should be a big enough effort to prevent it from being in CMN. Unless BF want to enlighten us with some information about why it isn't possible/too much effort

I think if that were the case we would already have it. 20mb may only take me 3 or 4 minutes but when you start getting into the 50mb or 75mb files that is too much sitting around and waiting, for me, while playing any game via TCP.

However, I hope I am wrong and you are right because it is my number 1 wish.

Yes, a 70mB file would take a while to send, even on my pretty good connection.

But if you think back to the CMx1 series, with the connection speeds back then a 1mB file would take just as long as a 70mB file would today. Basically I hope it's not the file size that's holding it back, as that's a bit of a cop out IMO