CMBB and Windows 7

When playing CMBB I get a black screen that flashes from time to time. I'm running Windows 7 and I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 220 video card. My CMBB version is 1.03. Do I need the 1.04 version? Other than the flashing black screen I have no other issues with the game but the black screen. It gets very annoying at times when playing. Can anyone help? Thanks

Instead of paying for the V1.04 patch try downloading and run the CMBB demo, that should have the V1.04 patch all ready installed.

I'm leaning towards the video card and not Win7 as the problem.

Windows 7, in and of itself, probably isn't the issue here. However the video drivers you're using for your video card would be the most likely culprit. I'm not aware of which particular drivers might be problematic with the CMx1 series, but you may want to try something newer or older and see what difference that makes. Before changing your driver though, I suggest completely uninstalling your current video driver before installing the next one.

The 1.04 patch addressed some problems CMBB and CMAK had with early Vista video drivers for DirectX 10 capable video cards. Eventually drivers were released that fixed the issue. The 1.04 patch updates some of the DirectX calls made by CMBB and CMAK to some newer versions that are better supported with DirectX 10/11 than the original DirectX calls used. In some cases these newer calls MAY help with certain drivers in avoiding some problems (but not always).

As Ted pointed out, I suggest downloading the CMBB 1.04 Demo and see if it resolves the issue that you're seeing. If it does, then it may be worth the $5 to get the patch. This patch will covert you over to using the eLicense system if you are not already (and your CD will no longer need to be present to launch the game anymore).