Suggestions

Boris Balaban

1 :o Need extra unit.

I found that some time at the edges that a resource will be created in water but you will not be able to claim it for you do not have a port city to it.

I also (me) chose to produce satellites but as time went on they were too far back to launch to do any good. If they were in a port city a transport would carry them to the front lines but if you did not produce them at a port city they could not be transported.

I would like to see a new unit. It would be a hover craft that could transport 1 unit over land and water.

2 :o Possible search rule? I send a ship out to search uncharted area and find I have to back track every time it reveals a resource. Can Brit add a search rule that would automatically capture the recourse then go back to its orders of its path? You can also have it stop after capturing the resource waiting for new orders?

It also might be interesting to have an option in the game set up to have a "seen" map but FoW applied to resources (as well as "unspotted" enemy units).

Regarding unaccessible water, perhaps an adjustment to the RMG so that land masses are either continuous along a map edge, or have clear water in between (them and the edge).

David

1 Need extra unit.

I found that some time at the edges that a resource will be created in water but you will not be able to claim it for you do not have a port city to it.

Ah, sometimes resource are placed in a pond, but there are no cities adjacent to the water.

I also (me) chose to produce satellites but as time went on they were too far back to launch to do any good. If they were in a port city a transport would carry them to the front lines but if you did not produce them at a port city they could not be transported.

Oh. Good point.

2 Possible search rule? I send a ship out to search uncharted area and find I have to back track every time it reveals a resource. Can Brit add a search rule that would automatically capture the recourse then go back to its orders of its path? You can also have it stop after capturing the resource waiting for new orders?

Hm. Yeah, I could look into that. I know people have similar issues with ground units passing up resources, too - although, at least land-resources tend to be on roads, and ground-units travel along the roads, so it's slightly less of a problem.

As far as satellites go; they really should be able to move/be placed anywhere on map anytime. Most military recon satellites can be moved to any location in the world by changing their orbits with little thrusters that are built into the satellite.

As far as satellites go; they really should be able to move/be placed anywhere on map anytime. Most military recon satellites can be moved to any location in the world by changing their orbits with little thrusters that are built into the satellite.

Okay, I changed how satellites work. In the next update, they can be launched anywhere on the map.

Its not the launch location but getting it to the area you want to launch from.

How about a truck to transport?

StellarRat is right - I mean the satellite can be launched to anywhere on the map. As far as moving stuff around (like missiles, for example), a truck unit might be useful. Although, I'd like to think about what else might be done with trucks if I could add them. If their sole reason for existence is to move stuff from landlocked cities, then they have a rather narrow role in the game. Transports can already move stuff around -- not just ground units, but it can also move aircraft, satellites, and missiles, but they can't be launched from a transport.

I don't know if you should go down the road of having units just to move stuff around on land. That smells like pure logistics complications to me. Why don't you just give them the ability to move on land at a slow speed? If they aren't targetted on an enemy you can assume the player is just moving them. They just couldnt go into water squares.

Speaking of that...it would be cool if units could have an engineer ability that allows them to building roads.

Also, concerning satellites: Will we be able to move them after they are launched i.e. "re-task" them?

The satellites can be moved around after being launched, but they're slow - they can't really move a significant distance within their lifespan.

I don't know if you should go down the road of having units just to move stuff around on land. That smells like pure logistics complications to me. Why don't you just give them the ability to move on land at a slow speed? If they aren't targetted on an enemy you can assume the player is just moving them. They just couldnt go into water squares.

Makes sense. The "this is moving if they aren't targeted on an enemy" would work for some units - like missiles, but not for satellites. I suppose the most robust way to do it would be to have two modes - a ground-movement mode and a launch/launched mode. Although it is starting to get a little in-depth.

Speaking of that...it would be cool if units could have an engineer ability that allows them to building roads.

I suppose that could be useful for areas where there isn't a road, or you want to build a road to an airfield. It might also be good for any pre-modern rulesets (e.g. a Rome/Antiquity ruleset). Admittedly, road-building is a little low on the priority list right now.

Well, the AI in CIV 4 is smart enough to link cities and resources together with roads. I think that's good enough.

As far as moving satellites around, I really think you should be able to move them anywhere on the map each turn. That's the way they work in real life. I see no harm in this from a balance perspective. Of course, I suppose it depends on the time scale. But, generally, it can be done fairly quickly. We are talking about objects that are moving at 2000 to 18000 MPH.

Well, the AI in CIV 4 is smart enough to link cities and resources together with roads. I think that's good enough.

As far as moving satellites around, I really think you should be able to move them anywhere on the map each turn. That's the way they work in real life. I see no harm in this from a balance perspective. Of course, I suppose it depends on the time scale. But, generally, it can be done fairly quickly. We are talking about objects that are moving at 2000 to 18000 MPH.

(Sorry if I nerd-out on satellites for a minute.)

Satellites are complicated. There's geo-stationary satellites (sit above the equator, typically don't move), low-earth satellites (constantly moving, orbiting the earth every 90 minutes, flies over every part of the planet every few days), high-earth satellites (that have squirrelly orbits like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highly_elliptical_orbit).

So, the exception of geo-stationary satellites, they're always moving. I considered having satellites traversing the map continually - disappearing off one side of the map and appearing on the other - which is what low-earth satellites do. That makes logical sense if players are on a planetary-map. But, it's not so logical if you're playing on a section of the world - like a european map.

The current system of placing satellites anywhere you want on the map and leaving them there is rather artificial, but it works well enough from a game perspective. I didn't want to get overly realistic and make players pick what kinds of orbits they want for their satellites or worry about where the equator is located on the game-map.

I had an idea for units, dont know if this proposed.

In future it might be nice to be able to create units in theunitset or independantly and then upload that single unit to the database.

Example.

I make a truck unit, up load it, someone else downloads and ticks somewhere to use deadmeats truck addon, fin.

I had an idea for units, dont know if this proposed.

In future it might be nice to be able to create units in theunitset or independantly and then upload that single unit to the database.

Example.

I make a truck unit, up load it, someone else downloads and ticks somewhere to use deadmeats truck addon, fin.

Are you saying a "truck unit" in the sense of a ruleset-unit that has all the movement and combat data, or a "truck unit" in the sense of being an image and set of animations for a truck (with no movement-rate or combat data)?