Best way of Sub hunting

Some guys discuss this before. I am still not satisfied with hunting subs in that game. Because there is no easy way to catch subs without big own damage.

One way I try to find them is to take low strengths Corps as a transport. The sub nearly sinks them by surprise contact but if they survive it is still the cheapest way to find them.

Strange anyway.

I despise those "how can i cheat the game mechanics" actions, even though it might be "cheaper" than simply hunting with all risks.

A better way would be to make suggestions how to enhance the subwar.

some ideas:

- subs don't surprise DDs anymore. If a DD runs "accidently" into a sub, the sub dives (with 100% success, and several tiles away from the DD).

- subs can only attack naval units as long as the subs haven't moved. If a subs moves, than it can only attack convoy lines or harbor zones after the move

- subs get a firing range of 1 at level 1, 2 at level 2 and 3

- subs consume less supply at level 3

- subs create phantom sightings of themselfs at level 3 after a successful dive

etc. etc.

-

I despise those "how can i cheat the game mechanics" actions, even though it might be "cheaper" than simply hunting with all risks.

- subs don't surprise DDs anymore. If a DD runs "accidently" into a sub, the sub dives (with 100% success, and several tiles away from the DD).

I am sorry. I wanna be despised from anyone.

But I agree that I wanna have enhanced gameplay in that direction. Your first idea is a really good one

Amadeus, i don't despise YOU, sorry if my limited english may have sounded like i did. The opposite is true!

It is just that i don't like game moves which are using holes in the game mechanics or other ways to outsmart the game mechanics.

Hmm, mal auf verdacht das Ganze hier auf deutsch:

also, nichts für ungut, war nicht persönlich gemeint. Aber Tricks zu verwenden, nur um irgendwie zu sparen oder über einen nicht vorgesehenen weg den Rechner oder Spielpartner auf jeden Fall zu besiegen, sind nicht so wirklich mein Ding. Lieber mit Anstand verlieren als nur nach Lücken oder "der perfekten" Lösung zu suchen, um möglichst immer zu gewinnen. Ich will dir das nicht unterstellen, wirklich nicht. Ich habe mit anderen Spielern und in anderen Spielen aber mein Maß bis zum Überlaufen voll bekommen. Ich spiele lieber mit Spielern, die ein Spiel "anständig" spielen, um des Spielens und des Spieles wegen, und nicht, um umbedingt nur zu gewinnen.

Und zu letzteren gehören für mich solche Züge, wo manintensiv mit Corps nach Ubooten "fischen" geht. Mal eine Falle zustellen (so nach dem Motto: "kommt, putt, putt, putt") wäre für mich andererseits völlig in Ordnung, legitim und irgendwie auch witzig. Ich halte dir einfach mal zugute (nicht, dass du es nötig hättest), dass dein beschriebener Zug in die eben genannte Kategorie fällt.

:)

A better way would be to make suggestions how to enhance the subwar.

some ideas:

- subs can only attack naval units as long as the subs haven't moved. If a subs moves, than it can only attack convoy lines or harbor zones after the move

- subs get a firing range of 1 at level 1, 2 at level 2 and 3

- subs consume less supply at level 3

- subs create phantom sightings of themselfs at level 3 after a successful dive

etc. etc.

-

I think the sub war is pretty even, they rule in the beginning, and later, allied surface ships make them useless. That has been my experiance.

I like subs creating phantom sightings after a dive, and no suprize for the DD's, but I think firing range over 1 is way unrealistic. I also think subs only firing before moving would cripple them against surface vessels. i don't have numbers, but subs sank a bunch of DD's, BB's, and CV's during the war. I, for one, would not want to gimp that part of the fun.

I think the sub war is pretty even, they rule in the beginning, and later, allied surface ships make them useless. That has been my experiance.

You are right, this is because sub upgrades are less useful then anti-sub upgrades. When both the sub and the destroyer are upgraded 2 or 3 times the sub will still do the same amount of damage to destroyers they always did, but the destroyer will have become much more dangerous to the submarine.

I don't think auto-diving is a very good idea. This means you would have to start spotting subs with cruisers and battleships, which you would have to feed to subs merely to get a shot at them with a destroyer. And that would be obligatory as well, because no amount of destroyers could ever fire at a submarine if they weren't accompanied by "bait" ships.

You are right, this is because sub upgrades are less useful then anti-sub upgrades. When both the sub and the destroyer are upgraded 2 or 3 times the sub will still do the same amount of damage to destroyers they always did, but the destroyer will have become much more dangerous to the submarine.

I don't think auto-diving is a very good idea. This means you would have to start spotting subs with cruisers and battleships, which you would have to feed to subs merely to get a shot at them with a destroyer. And that would be obligatory as well, because no amount of destroyers could ever fire at a submarine if they weren't accompanied by "bait" ships.

I did not think about it like that, you are right. The auto dive would cause problems.

I return back to the main meaning of the thread. The best - correction the easiest - way of sub hunting is to search with cheap transport corps to contact the subs. Afterwards circle and attack with ships.

And, xwormwood is right, no fun to hunt in that way.