PDE Freeze with Win7

I'm playing my first pbem after upgrading to Win7, when I finish my turn, after I click OK in the box telling me that the save is done the game freezes. I still see the map, I even get tooltips from icons, but I cannot click on anything, I have to ALT-F4 the app. Using compatibility mode does not sadly help...

Can you try running the game in an alternate windowed mode, i.e. if you are running in full screen try playing in windowed mode or vice versa.

These settings can be accessed in the SETTINGS dialog and might do the trick as there was another report of a similar issue.

In the meantime I'll see what I can do as this appears to be Win7 specific which makes it very difficult to track down.

Can you try running the game in an alternate windowed mode, i.e. if you are running in full screen try playing in windowed mode or vice versa.

These settings can be accessed in the SETTINGS dialog and might do the trick as there was another report of a similar issue.

In the meantime I'll see what I can do as this appears to be Win7 specific which makes it very difficult to track down.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I've checked it and indeed the game freezes in window mode (which unfortunately I prefer) and works just fine in fullscreen mode.

Have you launched the game by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu ? This gives you 'administrator rights' which often allows for writes to the actual '\Program Files' directory, which MIGHT be the cause of failure here. Typically these writes are re-directed to the 'VirtualStore' directory and should be 'invisible' to the programs and users, but on occasion this doesn't seem to work.

If 'Run as administrator' works, then you can modify the shortcut so that you do not have to right click on it. To do this, right-click on the launching shortcut and select 'Properties' at the bottom of the popup menu. Go to the 'Compatibility' tab and at the bottom of this tab will be a section labeled 'Privilege Level'. Checkmark the box next to the text that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click 'Apply' and 'OK'. You'll need to do this for every shortcut that launches the game.

Have you launched the game by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu ? This gives you 'administrator rights' which often allows for writes to the actual '\Program Files' directory, which MIGHT be the cause of failure here. Typically these writes are re-directed to the 'VirtualStore' directory and should be 'invisible' to the programs and users, but on occasion this doesn't seem to work.

If 'Run as administrator' works, then you can modify the shortcut so that you do not have to right click on it. To do this, right-click on the launching shortcut and select 'Properties' at the bottom of the popup menu. Go to the 'Compatibility' tab and at the bottom of this tab will be a section labeled 'Privilege Level'. Checkmark the box next to the text that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click 'Apply' and 'OK'. You'll need to do this for every shortcut that launches the game.

I've been running as an admin, and no, it does not change the situation.

When you say "I've been running as an admin" do mean that you have been right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu or that your account is 'Computer administrator' ? If it is the latter, then that is NOT enough when it comes to UAC (User Account Control).

One other thing you may want to try is to disable UAC and see what sort of effect that may have. Typically 'Run as admin' should get around some of the UAC restrictions, but on occasion some users have to disable UAC.

Disabling UAC (Method #4 with the Control Panel will be the easiest method).

When you say "I've been running as an admin" do mean that you have been right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu or that your account is 'Computer administrator' ? If it is the latter, then that is NOT enough when it comes to UAC (User Account Control).

One other thing you may want to try is to disable UAC and see what sort of effect that may have. Typically 'Run as admin' should get around some of the UAC restrictions, but on occasion some users have to disable UAC.

Disabling UAC (Method #4 with the Control Panel will be the easiest method).

Actually I have UAC disabled. Could not stand double confirmation when deleting from USB drive. This is not the rights problem, it appears with window mode, disappears with fullscreen