Struggling with the Game Editor

Hi,

Well, I have decided I want to make my own variation for the 1939 World at War Scenario. I opened the 1939 World at War scenario in the Game Editor and my first instinct was to do a "save as" and call it "variation". That way any changes I make will be to my variation and not the original scenario.

So far, It's worked. I have a new a new "variation.cgn" file it seems ready to work with. I now went the toolbar > Edit AI Scripts > Garrisons. Under the first garrison script "UK Garrison Homeland (Presoviet Union 1939) I click "Open/Edit."

The message I get is "The system cannot find the path specified."

I then opened the editor and "export files" from the 1939 World at War campaign but I can figure out how to get the export the 1939 campaign to my variation.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

Geofighter

I'd recommend you copy the entire campaign folder and .cgn file for a given campaign to a renamed campaign folder and .cgn file, and then edit that. That way you retain all of the localization information and scripting for further editting. If you just save the cgn file under a new name, it doesn't have any of the supporting information that should be in a new campaign folder, thus no path.

The system is actually able to create the entire sub structure when you use SaveAs but I wonder if this has something to do with the 'Compatibility Files' issue found on Windows7 and Vista.

Can you try as pzgndr suggests or alternatively if you are under Windows7/Vista, try uninistalling the game and then re-installing it under let's say C:\Games as opposed to C:\Program Files to see if that helps. I only suggest this as programs installed under the 'Program Files' directory seem to have this 'Compatibility Files' issue.

Here is some more information about 'Compatibility Files':

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

Why? Because I did not mess with or go anywhere near the AI scripts.

C'mon, get beyond your comfort zone and rise up to the challenge. Print out all of the AI scripts and lay the paper end-to-end across a large room. Master Kan says, "When you can walk the AI scripts without tearing them, then your steps will not be heard, and you will be a Kung Fu modder."

Okay, I managed to get the 1939 World at War files renamed. I can start modding it in the future.

It was very similar to pzngdr's advice. I went to the program files > Battlefront > Strategic Command... > Campaigns. Inside the Campaigns folder I copied the 1939 World at War cgn file and data files. I then went to the desktop and pasted them there and renamed them each "variation" (That's just the name I chose for my files. You may decide to name yours something different, just remember that both the cgn and data files must have the exact same name and to add the _ in front of the data folder). Next, I returned to the Campaigns folder and repasted the new renamed files. It asked for administrator permission to put them in the campaigns folder so you must have administrator privilages set to put them back.

I started my game and sure enough Variation shows as a new, playable campaign.

Thanks Hubert and pzngdr for your help. Yes, this is Windows 7 issue that prevented the game from being created in the game editor.

• 2 weeks later...