Yet another graphics card thread

Well recently I have been toying around with the idea of getting a replacement video card for my fx 5600. And I stumbled upon this

Aopen 6800 LE 128 Mb Ddr3 Agp 8x + Tv-Out at $120.

The thing is a friend of mine recommended the Asus V9999 6800 (plain 128 Mb) but that card cost double the Aopen.

And I was wondering what the difference is? I mean is $120 too good to be true? Or have I struck oil here?

Thanks

The difference is that the LE only has 8 pixel pies, the 6800 (no letters) has 12. The critical memory bandwidth is the same and the GPU is only ignorably lower clocked.

So depending on what game you run the LE is anything from from 66% to 100% as fast as the 6800. The pixel pipes will help with high resolutions, high AA/AF settings and complex shaders. So the higher the quality settings the more difference you will see. If you play with lower quality settings they will be more equal.

It is however nonsense to even consider speding $240 on a 6800. 6800s should go from $160 up, and in that case it might be worth the $40 extra.

Again, DDR3 or DDR does not matter if the memory bandwidth is the same.

The 8 pipes on the 6800LE can theoretically be unlocked to the same 16 pipes that the 6800 (no letters) can usually be unlocked to. Or in other words, both have 16 pipelines and on the LE 8 are hidden and on the 6800 4 are hidden.

The original poster didn't tell us where he is and since he gave prices in (probably) U.S. dollars we cannot give any further recommendations as we have no clue how to point him to a good offer.

Not all 6800 and 6800LE actually unlock the pipes.

It is hit and miss and voids your warranty (if you cannot re-flash the old BIOS or re-set the old settings before sending it in). That is why I didn't use it in my initial post.

In any case, this is best description I know about (with pictures):

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1500237

Also this one:

http://www.ocia.net/articles/6800/page4.shtml

But it is really just one step, one command.

The 1st one my link seems not to work but

I'll try your links as well-Redwolf seems

you can be more polite-you wouldn't get

as much flak.....=).It was said that only

the plain NV40 can be unlocked from the AGP

cards but the NV41's PCI-E's can't be unlocked.

(6800's AGP-NV40)/(6800's PCI-E's-NV41).