Ramming!

I watched a documentary the other day about the Battle of Kursk.

In the documentary a Russian veteran tank crewman was interviewed about his experience during the battle.

He explained that the Russian troops were very highly motivated and had been made aware how important the forthcoming battle would be.

They were instructed to knock out enemy tanks anyway they could and this included ramming the enemy to immobilise him.

He went onto explain that this was what many of his comrades actually did.

Later in the documentary a German tank crewman was interviewed and confirmed that this tactic was used by the Russians and was effective. His own tank was also the subject of a ram attack which they narrowly avoided by shooting the T34 up before it hit.

This should be worked into the TOW game.

What do you think?

Alan

I watched a documentary the other day about the Battle of Kursk.

In the documentary a Russian veteran tank crewman was interviewed about his experience during the battle.

He explained that the Russian troops were very highly motivated and had been made aware how important the forthcoming battle would be.

They were instructed to knock out enemy tanks anyway they could and this included ramming the enemy to immobilise him.

He went onto explain that this was what many of his comrades actually did.

Later in the documentary a German tank crewman was interviewed and confirmed that this tactic was used by the Russians and was effective. His own tank was also the subject of a ram attack which they narrowly avoided by shooting the T34 up before it hit.

This should be worked into the TOW game.

What do you think?

Alan

More an exception rather than the rule (if it happened at all - a few anecdotes aside)).

More an exception rather than the rule (if it happened at all - a few anecdotes aside)).

Actually, it happened quite often - I'll agree it wasn't a rule, but more a suggestion if the tank happened to exhaust all ammunition and was in a position to use such a tactic.

However there are over 50 accounts of tank-ramming being used in Kursk alone, so it's far from just a few anecdotes. It was recorded and described as a "tactic" especially in encounters such as Kursk.

That being said, i don't think it would be necessary or worth while to be added as a feature in ToW Kursk. I'm not sure how much time or effort it would take to implement it, but that time should be spent fixing and updating the game rather than adding features such as this.

It it happened in real life it should be in the game too, plus of course the other problems should be fixed too (I find the other reported problems fairly minor though to be honest and my copy of Kursk runs nice and quick).

I have noticed that when 2 enemy vehicles do meet that they carefully maneuver around each other being careful not to scratch the paintwork. How real is that?

Actually, it happened quite often - I'll agree it wasn't a rule, but more a suggestion if the tank happened to exhaust all ammunition and was in a position to use such a tactic.

However there are over 50 accounts of tank-ramming being used in Kursk alone, so it's far from just a few anecdotes. It was recorded and described as a "tactic" especially in encounters such as Kursk.

That being said, i don't think it would be necessary or worth while to be added as a feature in ToW Kursk. I'm not sure how much time or effort it would take to implement it, but that time should be spent fixing and updating the game rather than adding features such as this.

I wouldn't consider "50" (assuming it is a legitimate figure to begin with) to be "quite often". Furthermore, there is rarely any context provided to these anecdotes - i.e. damage inflicted. I'm not saying they didn't happen - case in point - some T34 on T34 action :)ltd7.th.jpg

but I doubt it was A) officially sanctioned or B) effective.