The 2009 Book Tile Shortlist

dieseltaylor

The 2009 shortlist is as follows:

• Afterthoughts of a Worm Hunter by David Crompton
  • The Changing World of Inflammatory Bowel Disease by Ellen Scherl and Marla Dubinsky
  • Collectible Spoons of the 3rd Reich by James A Yannes
  • Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes by Daina Taimina
  • Governing Lethal Behavior in Autonomous Robots by Ronald C Arkin
  • What Kind of Bean is this Chihuahua? by Tara Jansen-Meyer

http://www.thebookseller.com/blogs/112817-the-diagram-prize-09-the-shortlist.html

Very amusing linky

And for those curious as to previous winners

The Diagram Prize for Oddest Book Title of the Year: Winners 1978-2008

1978: Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice (University of Tokyo Press)

1979: The Madam as Entrepreneur: Career Management in House Prostitution (Transaction Press)

1980: The Joy of Chickens (Prentice Hall)

1981: Last Chance at Love: Terminal Romances

1982: Population and Other Problems (China National Publications

1983: The Theory of Lengthwise Rolling (MIR)

1984: The Book of Marmalade: Its Antecedents, Its History and Its Role in the World Today (Constable)

1985: Natural Bust Enlargement with Total Power: How to Increase the Other 90% of Your Mind to Increase the Size of Your Breasts (Westwood Publishing Co)

1986: Oral Sadism and the Vegetarian Personality (Brunner/Mazel)

1987: No Award

1988: Versailles: The View From Sweden (University of Chicago Press)

1989: How to **** in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art (Ten Speed Press)

1990: Lesbian Sadomasochism Safety Manual (Lace Publications)

1991: No Award

1992: How to Avoid Huge Ships (Cornwell Maritime Press)

1993: American Bottom Archaeology (University of Illinois Press)

1994: Highlights in the History of Concrete (British Cement Association)

1995: Reusing Old Graves (Shaw & Son)

1996: Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers (Hellenic Philatelic Society)

1997: The Joy of Sex: Pocket Edition (Mitchell Beazley)

1998: Development in Dairy Cow Breeding and Management: and New Opportunities to Widen the Uses of Straw (Nuffield Farming Scholarship Trust)

1999: Weeds in a Changing World (British Crop Protection Council)

2000: High Performance Stiffened Structures (Professional Engineering Publishing)

2001: Butterworths Corporate Manslaughter Service (Butterworths)

2002: Living With Crazy Buttocks (Kaz Cooke – Penguin US/Australia)

2003: The Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories (Kensington Publishing)

2004: Bombproof Your Horse (J A Allen)

2005: People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It (Gary Leon Hill – Red Wheel/Weiser Books)

2006: The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification (Harry N Abrams)

2007: If You Want Closure In Your Relationship, Start With Your Legs (Simon & Schuster US)

2008: How to Avoid Huge Ships (Aurum Press)

http://www.thebookseller.com/in-depth/feature/64672-more-odd-than-odd.html

Extacy behind the barn : Sex & Drugs in the Mormon Village by Joe the Justicar

I had no clue in three parts :

vol. I God I have no clue

vol. II Still no clue

vol. III Clue or glue : the final question by Boo Radley

Why I hate Michael Emrys by anonymous german dive bomber

Mi piache popolo perque e putza by Seanachai

Wot I Tink . Me Story by M. Emrys

Satan got it all wrong. diary from Texas by Mr.Spkr

and so on

Extacy behind the barn : Sex & Drugs in the Mormon Village by Joe the Justicar

I had no clue in three parts :

vol. I God I have no clue

vol. II Still no clue

vol. III Clue or glue : the final question by Boo Radley

Why I hate Michael Emrys by anonymous german dive bomber

Mi piache popolo perque e putza by Seanachai

Wot I Tink . Me Story by M. Emrys

Satan got it all wrong. diary from Texas by Mr.Spkr

and so on

I've read all of them.

Product SummaryFormat: PaperbackISBN: 9780870334337Publisher: Cornell Maritime PressDang nabbit another publisher

Publish Date: 1/1/1993Buy.com Sku: 30416719Item#: RLSWVQBuy.com Sales Rank: 58692Dimensions (in Inches) 9H x 6L x 0.25TPages: 112 advertisement.gif

You are the owner-captain of a luxury fifty-foot trawler motoring across the bay with your family and a few friends one balmy summer evening. Off in the distance, beyond the bridge spanning the waterway, you can make out the lights and shape of a containership moving down the channel. Have you ever wondered what action you must take to keep clear of that fast-approaching ship? This book will tell you how to do so quickly and in simple terms.Conscientious skippers are wise to read this book and discover if a ship's radar will pick up a small boat at night. It is fascinating to learn what is taking place on the bridge or down in the engine room of one of these leviathans as it heads your way. Can it be stopped before it hits you? Can it even turn rapidly enough to avoid you? Learn how to protect yourself and your loved ones by reading this book written for the private boat owner/captain.

Interestingly enough just the other day I was discussing this very subject with a friend of mine who operates a sailboat. As we were talking we were watching a huge container ship go through the Admiralty Inlet. It must have had something like 500 containers stacked up on its weather deck. These things are bigger than Nimitz class carriers.

Michael

I do have some books on weird titles. One of them divides them up into the filthy to the bizarre:

"Invisible Dick"

"Fifty years with the Rod"

"A Love Passage"

and several hundred others

and the odd

"The ***** Inserts of South East Asia: An Annotated Bibliography with an Overview and Common Perspectives"

"Penetrating Wagners Ring" 1978

"Tosser, Gunman" 1938

Product SummaryFormat: PaperbackISBN: 9780870334337Publisher: Cornell Maritime PressDang nabbit another publisher

Publish Date: 1/1/1993Buy.com Sku: 30416719Item#: RLSWVQBuy.com Sales Rank: 58692Dimensions (in Inches) 9H x 6L x 0.25TPages: 112

You are the owner-captain of a luxury fifty-foot trawler motoring across the bay with your family and a few friends one balmy summer evening. Off in the distance, beyond the bridge spanning the waterway, you can make out the lights and shape of a containership moving down the channel. Have you ever wondered what action you must take to keep clear of that fast-approaching ship? This book will tell you how to do so quickly and in simple terms.Conscientious skippers are wise to read this book and discover if a ship's radar will pick up a small boat at night. It is fascinating to learn what is taking place on the bridge or down in the engine room of one of these leviathans as it heads your way. Can it be stopped before it hits you? Can it even turn rapidly enough to avoid you? Learn how to protect yourself and your loved ones by reading this book written for the private boat owner/captain.

Great that damn book lists for $76.49. What if you don't have that money? ....You can always let the ship hit you :eek: and then read:

The Law of Marine Collision

Until now, the most recent complete text on the law of collision published on this side of the Atlantic was John Griffin's The American Law of Collision, which appeared in 1949. So many significant changes have occurred in collision law since then that a new American text was certainly indicated. The most significant of these changes was, of course, the adoption of the 1972 COLREGS, which became effective in 1977 -- the first complete revision of the International Rules since 1889. Also of great importance was the substitution of a single set of U.S. Inland Rules, identical in most respects to COLREGS, for the former Inland, Great Lakes, and Western Rivers Rules. Other significant changes were the adoption of the proportional fault rule by the U.S. Supreme Court in Reliable Transfer Co. v. United States, and the widespread use of radar and ARPA in marine navigation.COLREGS and the current U.S. Inland Rules are arranged in much more orderly fashion than their predecessors, and the authors have followed the same order in treating the individual Rules. In addition to the Rules, the book covers damages, both-to-blame collisions, and official investigations. It also includes chapters on pilotage, towage, marine pollution, limitation of liability, marine insurance, salvage, and general average.

And this one lists for $127.50. Maybe you can just use the book as a flotation device. ;)