Question on infantry make up...

This is a very good question. I am curious about this myself.

I am thinking that the rank of the command squad is higher than the standard infantry.

This would mean the command radius would be greater and encompassing more of the units in battle. This would give a benefit in troop morale.

I would like to know more in depth of how this might work.

if you see a red bar under the icon of your men, it means they're panicking and you can't control them anymore: they'll stop obeying your orders and will try to head away from the danger zone. Most of the time, they'll get killed while trying to escape.

You can check the status of the soldier by selecting it and looking at its info card: the part stating what he's doing will indicate "panicking".

This is happening when the poor guy is subjected to intense fire, or sees a lot of his comrades killed.

If there is a command squad in the vicinity, it will help the troopers to remain calm longer by boosting their morale. If the squad leader is killed, or worse, if he starts panicking himself, chance are that the men in his command radius will suffer a big loss in morale and will start panicking themselves.

The higher rank the commander of the squad has, the larger is the area of influence. A lieutenant will have only a small area surrounding him, while a colonel will be able the encompass a much larger area.