Core 2 Duo?? Really?

OK, my current Alienware P4 3ghz PC is 6.5 years old, but someone has to explain to me why game developers insist on developing software for the highest end machines. I'd love to buy Kursk 1943. But I don't have a Core 2 Duo. Do the developers expect me to buy a new PC just to play this game? Don't tell me it's time to upgrade. I'm questioning the business model of the developer. Certainly, I'm not the only one who would need to upgrade. The point is that the developer narrows its own market for its product by developing only for the high end. This is already a niche market. I'm done ranting.

OK, my current Alienware P4 3ghz PC is 6.5 years old, but someone has to explain to me why game developers insist on developing software for the highest end machines. I'd love to buy Kursk 1943. But I don't have a Core 2 Duo. Do the developers expect me to buy a new PC just to play this game? Don't tell me it's time to upgrade. I'm questioning the business model of the developer. Certainly, I'm not the only one who would need to upgrade. The point is that the developer narrows its own market for its product by developing only for the high end. This is already a niche market. I'm done ranting.

your trolling, right? 6.5 years old is considered ancient...

Indeed, 6.5 years is pretty old. Now, I'm definitely not someone buying the latest gadget as soon as they're out. I am using 2-4 years old PCs myself. But especially the jump from one core to two cores is huge, so you should definitely consider upgrading at this point.

I also have a P4 3Ghz which is about four and 1/2 years old. I fully understand that my machine does not cut it anymore for a while now. TOW Africa demo was only just playable.

This is simply technical progress to which the software does adapt. Sometimes the hardware is a step in advance, sometimes the software.

I just got a new job and if everything runs as it should, I will be able to buy a mid class system in autumn. If not, it will have to solder on. Nobody is forcing us to buy a certain game anyway. In fact, apart from newer games all other software runs well on my old box. Were I not also gaming I'd be using it until it falls apart.

Of course it would be nice if games could be scaled down a lot (Il2 flightsim does this quite well) but it makes development even more complex and I'm certain that statistics exist which show how many machines of which technical generations are around.

It's also wise to make games that don't look old after just half a year and so its an upward spiral. Face it, if you want to run the latest software well you have to invest in hardware in shorter intervals.

By the way, just so there is no misunderstanding... TOW2 Kursk does not require the latest and fastes machine to play. Not at all. I am running it on my 5 (or so) year old Pentium D desktop. Granted, I can't run it with all bells and whistles, but at medium-low settings it's absolutely playable. On my 2 year laptop it's actually running flawlessly even with most of the bells and whistles, by the way.

ok, no need t oupgrad eand lots of stuff will run great, even this with everything turned down probably will b ok, BUT I just bought a machine.. good card 6 gigs ram, decent ps, 2.6 ghz quad large hd etc, and while its not an alien its ok... 660$ shipped new.. so these machines are getting really inexpensive, and for those who can build them, a monkey can I know... even less.. I appreciate the posters delema, BUT I totally want designers to include multi threading games in the mix, after all who has Beta or even VHS anymore? I know we all probably have old stuff, but again technlogy does not wait around for the old tech and I for one do not want to see us limit the cutting edge products.. there will always be a older stuff to run... seriously I used lots of P3 p4 pc's to run newer titles when the specs where all faster better different, and today prices are considerably less than at any other time, especially acocunting for inflation!

So, again with all respect to the initial poster please keep pushing the envelope