A little help needed please

Hi, I'm quite enjoying this game - although I also still play CMBB & CMAK a lot too because I don't believe that they will ever be beaten for realism and depth of play, also they're a heck of a lot more stable, anyway....

I'm on XP and have the version with the uber patch.

My problem is lock-ups/freezes with TOW. I'm then having to press ctrl-alt-delete to stop the program from running and sometimes it takes a while to get out of it too. Its weird cos the first 2 tutorials were fine then the next 2 started locking up.

My question is; is there something I can type in the line (in the end program pop-up box) for terminating the TOW program quickly and efficiently ?

I'm gonna try and persist cos I reckon there's a good game lurking in there somewhere. Mind you I can't believe they left out the Sherman Firefly ???

flying_spud - what hardware do you have in your system (video card, CPU, memory) and what video driver do you have installed ? If you replay the two tutorials do they lockup now too ?

Do you have any temperature monitoring software for you CPU or possibly your video card ?

There's nothing that I know of to terminate the program faster, but if you Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Task Manager and then try to stop TOW, you may want to look in the 'Processes' tab after doing that and look for a 'dumprep.exe' and possibly stop that too since it is writing "dumps" of data for possible debugging purposes.

As Sneaksie asked, do you know if you're doing anything in particular when the lockups/freezes occur or is there something that is happening on screen when they happen ?

thanks for your replies; I'm running a GeForce 8500 GT, Driver version 185.5.

I've had no probs with other games freezing up. I first hit this problem on

3rd tutorial, and again on 4th. Re-run 3rd tutorial and yes it happened again. I think I was moving the russian sniper towards a position where he could snipe the enemy around the farmhouse 1st time, 2nd time I put 2 men inside the 222 armoured car to capture it, they got inside then the program just froze, although I could still move the mouse - nothing appeared active.

My pc; AMD 64X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, 2.71 GHz. 3.00 GB of RAM.

Windows XP Home, Service pack 3.

I'm not sure of the specific actions or missions that would cause the lockups. You may want to go through this Knowledgebase article on Theater of War Performance Tweaks and see if it helps. You may want to try the AMD CPU patches (#8) and the 'affinity' one (#7).

If you run 'Configure Theater of War' (ToWSetup.exe), what options do you have selected ? You may want to select check mark "Use only one CPU" under the 'Multithreading' section at the bottom (which would probably make setting the 'affinity' mentioned earlier unnecessary).