installation problem with new laptop.

I am trying to get combat mission to run on my new Windows Seven laptop. It's the 64-bit version. I have installed the game according to currently published instructions twice, including both modules.

The game loads normally, reads as version 1.21, and battles play normally. The problem starts when I save the second battle of a campaign. I save the game, go back to the menu screen, and when I try to open the saved game tab in the menu screen the game locks up completely. It doesn't do this until I have tried to save the second battle of a campaign. As long as I only play individual battles or the first battle of the campaign everything seems to work perfectly. But as soon as I save the second battle of the campaign it somehow corrupts the whole save game folder, and I can't even get it to open the save game selection window.

I would suggest running the program as an administrator or turning of UAC (User Account Control). However since UAC is considered a security feature, it is probably best to run the program as an administrator. Typically you can do this each time you start the game by right-clicking on the icon you use to launch the game and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu.

You can also set the program/shortcut to do this each time you launch. Right-click on the shortcut/executable and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. Then click on the 'Compatibilty' tab and go to the bottom section labelled 'Privilege Level'. Check mark the box next to the (only) text of "Run this program as an administrator" and click OK.

Typically CMSF should be able to work with UAC and the VirtualStore directory that is associated with it. In this system your files get sent to a directory within your Users folder instead of the 'Program Files' folder (which is considered a security hazard). Using the 'Run as administrator' feature, you program can write to the 'Program Files' directory (or in the case of 64-bit Windows '\Program Files (x86)' directory).

• 4 weeks later...

Actually this won't bypass UAC completely because you do need UAC elevated privileges for your first launch of all of our games. This is required for the license activation. But it still may be a good idea to use a different installation folder if you have issues with save games and the like.