one last shot before buying a new PC

Greetings,

I tried to load ToW onto my HP laptop, after downloading the uber patch I was finally able to get to the elicense part of the process, but after entering that and launching (right clicking as I am using Vista 32 bit) I kept getting another error (#3 something that's listed on the forum) which suggested a driver issue. After installing the latest drivers for the Intel Mobility Express 4 chipset, I still got the same error code. I am fairly certain my graphics driver is to weak to run this application but was wondering if their might be something else I can try. That being said, if not, what a perfect opportunity to buy a new PC :D I was looking at the Alienware line, my other question would be, would a mid range Alienware PC run ToW to it's full potential? Also, besides the mission editor what other issues can I run into using Windows 7?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Your Intel Mobile 4 Series Express integrated video should work with TOW. Only the following Intel integrated video chipsets (and earlier 8xx ones) do not work:

Mobile IntelĀ® 900, 915, 925, 82945G or 945GM/GU Express Chipsets

I believe the 965 and newer integrated graphics (you have to watch out for some 'corporate' non-graphics oriented versions though) should work. They may not be the best performance, but they should work. However, it is also possible that Intel is not doing a very good job on the drivers and possibly not updating the code fully and thus making it incapable of running a game such as TOW.

Generally speaking, a 32-bit version of Windows 7 should behave fairly similarly to a 32-bit version of Windows Vista, so you shouldn't run into any additional issues to my knowledge with Windows 7. However there is the possibility that Windows 7 drivers are not fully up to par for some graphics chipsets (in other words, the Vista driver might be more capable - if it is a different driver from the Windows 7 one).

Regarding Alienware laptops, are you speaking of the M15x series ? They come with options for the 512MB GeForce GT 240M1 and the 1GB GeForce GTX 260M1, which should both perform very well with TOW and support the full set of features (graphically speaking).