Impression of a returning junkie

Colin

Wow, so I just played through some of the latest CMSF Demo. After sorting out the ATI mouse bug (thats a nasty one for sure) the audio worked properly, and the immersion level is really really good. I played CMBO heavily, and followed its development from pre-beta demo through the night of the refresh monkeys and into the early CMSF days. I didn't play much BB or AK because I wasn't going to boot into OS9 or XP and really those weren't my theaters of interest. Also high school and college got in the way a bit. I did try the initial CMSF demos but they seemed buggier then anything I'd ever tried by BFC so I didn't bother.

1) I keep waiting for the turn to end, but it never does. I actually think the TBS formula suits these games much better then RTS does. Each platoon leader would be making critical decisions quite often, and although having full overview of the AO is unrealistic as is planning movement in approx 1min increments (as tends to happen) it is better than making long sweeping moves and having no time to get into the platoon level command structure. I found I was just moving little markers around and never felt the need to get right in and watch the details like I did with CMBO. You just play a numbers game and try to put an Abrams in overwatch and see the game lose its intimacy. Being able to watch the same turn 4 times and see each units response to the events unfolding in front of it really made you appreciate the tacAI. I realize that RTS has many inherent realisms in that the nature of time is uninterrupted.

2) Immersion level is good, if not great. Lighting was wonderful. Textures great. A couple issues with draw distance on shrubbery's but its nothing a two level effect with a path down the middle couldn't fix. There was a slight delay when clicking on a unit before its stats are displayed.

Because of the RTS nature of the game, its hard to enjoy each round, and theres no feeling of sitting in the turret of your tank and praying that the tungsten round is going to KO that hull down Panther at 1400m before he sees your Firefly on the horizon and one shots you. Again, I know that is optional and I could play a minute at a time to get what I wanted.

3) Artillery system is great. Quite realistic, good radio chatter to add to the immersion and reflects the improvements in arty over the years quite well. It feels like a precision jackhammer when compared to WW2 era 'prefire and pray'.

4) Fit and finish of the title is great. A new font in the briefing really wouldn't hurt though. It does look like an ACSII. There were a couple of strange audio things when selecting Stykers (sounded like engine noises or something) but barely perceptible. A million times better then the original demo. If there was a Mac OS X version, I'd have ordered the game as soon as I quit the demo.

5) Windows 7 compatible. Worked like a dream in Win7 32bit using my cobbled together BootCamp/OEM drivers. No compatibility modes.

All in all, I am so excited for Normandy now, and as soon as I get a bit more time or a second Windows box I'll pick up CMSF.

A couple questions I could probably find the answers to easily but haven't tried yet: Is there any easy way to compare relative unit power, penetration range etc? I know generally but I know in CM1 the M1 Garand (or was it carbine) was given a score of 100 and squad FP extrapolated from that.

One of the briefings says something about not forgetting your mk19 to flush out the infantry. I just couldn't see which of my Stykers had it, or if there was toggle for the main gun or what was up with that.

Now gimme a Mac version.

Is there any hope of a Mac version for CM:SF?

NOTE: I AM AWARE THAT RTS IS AN OPTION. It is however the default, and its new to me so thats why I comment on it.

Is there any easy way to compare relative unit power, penetration range etc? I know generally but I know in CM1 the M1 Garand (or was it carbine) was given a score of 100 and squad FP extrapolated from that.

No. You pretty much need to look up the real weapons systems to get an idea of how they work in the game.

One of the briefings says something about not forgetting your mk19 to flush out the infantry. I just couldn't see which of my Stykers had it, or if there was toggle for the main gun or what was up with that.

Strykers equipped with the Mk.19 should say "40mm" in the unit description. :)

Because of the RTS nature of the game, its hard to enjoy each round, and theres no feeling of sitting in the turret of your tank and praying that the tungsten round is going to KO that hull down Panther at 1400m before he sees your Firefly on the horizon and one shots you. Again, I know that is optional and I could play a minute at a time to get what I wanted.

Colin,

Well you aren't required to play it in RT. WEGO is a viable option you know (apart from TCP/IP LAN games - and there's a work around for that).

Now gimme a Mac version.

Is there any hope of a Mac version for CM:SF?

Use the "search" button here and in the Tech Support section (I think the latest time I answered this with what I know is still on the front page there).

Indeed you are the one who asked the same question there, what 5 days ago!

I'm not going to re type the same stuff here again. :)

Yep understood but its only the "default" because they had to put one option in the box (otherwise it would be blank and you just have a longer pull down list to choose from).

That's not to say that the RT mode works better or is superior to WEGO, its just another option.

Anyway, enjoy. :)