Confused about entering/exiting big buildings

Played a city QB today and had a lot of my infantry running out into the street to enter an adjacent building (adjacent as in literally right next to, stuck to it) even though I SAW visually doors going from one building to the next. What's going on here? I even gave specific orders but they still took the weird way.

With small buildings soldiers seem to be able to enter/exit from any direction but not so with big buildings... what's the system?

ah thats simple. in CMx1 you will notice that infantry can move into a house from anywhere, it doesnt matter if there is a visual door on the texture or not.

now i suspect you talk about these heavy 2 story buildings. when you put them directly next to each other the building walls connecting to the other house are getting unpassable. you have to go out the main street or out on the back side.

this is for one simple reason! this houses represent and model houses like this ->

p1000558q.jpg

now i lived in such houses and to 99% there is no way to get from one to the other without going out to the street or climbing over the wall in the backyard. thats simply different houses just build together in blocks of 2 or 3 next to each other. but not interconnected.

mind you thats old brick constructions and by the height the wall connecting the 2 houses will be at ground level at least 8 to 12 bricks thick, depending on height of the building. there is absolutely no easy way to blow a hole in there with simple infantry means as you can imagine.

thats why the heavy buildings in CMx1 work like they do and for the WWII theater its absolutely correct.

Pandur is correct...When two street buildings are connected to each other, troops already inside one building will need to exit outside to enter the connected second building.

Due to the modeling of the buildings, you will see doors all around, and are only applied when buildings are seperated.

You can just use one way point as your troops will automatically take the safest route possible. Ofcourse, you can instead give several way-points for more precise movement.

Joe

If a heavy building is intact, and there is a destroyed light building connected, then passage is possible. However, if one heavy building is intact and connected heavy building is destroyed, no passage is possible ( you will note; the intact building facing the destoyed building also has its walls damaged ).