Keeping Russia out

Hi Kantabricus

The USSR will arrive very late on in the game unless you don't have the required garrisons in Manchuria. This is because Japan kept a very large army in Manchuria throughout the war to stop the Red Army from marching in and just taking the country from them.

Throughout the game Japan therefore needs to keep units in or adjacent to Manchouli, Kiamusze, Yenki, Tsitsihar and Harbin, and from the 1st October 1944 Japan also needs units at 53,13 and 62,13.

Of course, the Allies may invest in diplomacy in an attempt to bring the USSR in sooner, in which case the only counter you really have is diplomacy of your own.

Massing air power in Manchuria for when the Soviets join can be very useful, and may enable you to make some inroads into Soviet territory (e.g. Vladivostock) or at least to destroy some of their key units, such as their tank units and HQs.

I agree on Bill101 on this one.

There is a small niche of time where the Japs are shoring up their homeland defenses before the Yanks are show-up (later in the game). You should have some nice tech & toys for the Japs.

Do DOW on the Russians & blast their front forces, navy, whatever, to Kingdom Come....IF, & ONLY IF the situation presents itself. Meaning the Yanks aren't in striking range just yet. This provides a nice pond to hide your carriers later, North of Japan to prevent a total one-turn butt kick by Uncle Sam.

If this move isn't available, well, you'd better nail the Russian ports when they do join the war. You don't need sneaky Russian transports capturing Jap ports for Yanks to come crashing in. Use your bombers to level the ports & the port cities. Buys you time, which is the whole point of the game strategy of the doomed Jap Empire.

Agreed, don't let the USSR attack you, attack them first.

One of the things I really enjoy late in the game is keeping a tally of T-34s that I've destroyed. Experienced tac bomber and fighter attacks can make mincemeat out of them in no time. Just as long as the US air force isn't present too!