Syrian Tank Hunters in Lebanon 1982

Not only is this a detailed and useful discussion of how the Syrians actually hunted tanks, using commando teams armed with both RPGs and ATGMs, but note the effective integration of attack helicopters into the overall scheme, as well as the actions of the Syrian Air Force, which flew despite heavy losses again and again at the hands of the IAF, inflicting great punishment on the advancing IDF columns. Also of interest is a Syrian breakout in which T-72s met M60s and the T72s fared well. The main site is grog central.

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_279.shtml

Regards,

John Kettler

Arghhhh! My eyes! My eyes! I cannot see! I cut and pasted onto word, so will peruse without risk of Venetian blind after image syndrome. I certaily know the IDF troopers I talked to, mainly Recce and Paras had a very healthy respect for the Syrian Commandos and on several occasions were saved from being wiped out, at a company level, by IDF air support.

The article is a bit heavy on hyperbole and a bit inconsistent. You'll notice in the photo of the Magach (M60), that it was one of TWO confirmed kills by AT teams. So it wasn't really "great punishment". Unfortunately, at least to the IDF, the heaviest losses in that part of the war were actually suffered when the IAF mistakenly dropped cluster bombs on an IDF battalion. This by no means intends to denigrate the Syrian commandos, who at the time were a very credible fighting force. But the Syrian airforce did not exactly cover itself in glory and when the IAF destroyed the Syrian IADS network in Lebanon, they actually lost 82 fighters to 0 IAF losses in one day. The bulk of the IDF ~800 losses in the 3-year long 1st Lebanon war were inflicted by the PLO and Hezbollah/Amal, not the Syrians. In fact it would be fair to say that nowadays Syria depends on Hezbollah to defend it's Lebanon flank, and quite rightly so, given the outcome of the 2nd Lebanon war.

Arghhhh! My eyes! My eyes! I cannot see! I cut and pasted onto word, so will peruse without risk of Venetian blind after image syndrome. I certaily know the IDF troopers I talked to, mainly Recce and Paras had a very healthy respect for the Syrian Commandos and on several occasions were saved from being wiped out, at a company level, by IDF air support.

If you're using Firefox (and you should), click View->Page style->select "No Style" and the styling is removed - nice black text on a white background.