Rally Points?

willgamer

I've only used them for ships but they should all be the same.

You'll note there are three buttons. One each for ships, planes, and ground units. Select a button by left clicking it and then right click on the map to set the rally point there. You will see the dotted movement line to show you where it is and that line appears whenever you select the city during the game to remind you of it

The rally point can be changed the same way. I am not sure if you can rally troops to another city. At one point during the demo phase you could not.

Hope this helps.

I fear I've missed another obvious feature in plain sight...

I see the buttons, but pressing them doesn't seem to do anything....

How do you set rally points?

Are rally points the city itself? Can there be only one? One per city?

There are three types of rally points: ground-unit, sea-unit, and air-unit. When a new ground-unit is built in a city, it moves to the ground-unit rally point. You can setup different rally points for each city.

To use them, select the city, left-click the rally-point icon, then right-click on the map. To clear a rally point, left-click the rally-point icon, then click the "Clear rally point" button (it looks like a stop-sign).

• 10 months later...
Do rally points:

only work for units produced in the town?

or

if any unit moves in to that town will it then automatically get the rally point orders?

dumrox is right - only new units produced in the city get the orders. There is some debate about how this should work. Under the current system, where rally points only apply to new units, you can put some sentries in a city and leave them there (they won't follow the rally points). On the other hand, if the system was changed to apply to all units in the city, then you could do things like setup chains of unit-rally points (e.g. units produced in city X can be setup to move to city Y, which then get orders to move to city Z, etc). The second system might be a little better for aircraft - because if you want them moved across the map, they could be setup to move through a series of intermediaries.

The daisy-chain system of rally points I was thinking of would work on a large map, during the mid game, where you wanted planes produced way in back automatically make several hops to the front lines.

I single jump works fine too. I now have several producing cities feed to one hub for movement to the front.