Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can't start CMSF and can't install license

Bah...

I have reinstalled my Windows and now wanted to install Shock Force. Installed old 1.20 version, but after launching game it will only show black screen and small British CM-logo on the bottom. Strange, because game worked perfectly before I reinstalled Windows. I'm using same graphic drivers.

I downloaded 1.21 and installed it. But now it will ask to install license and after it display this message:

unable to get or install license

this license was not found on the license server

???

With 1.20 my licence was working fine but not with 1.21.

Edit: Now it's working! *banging head to wall*

Proper way to install it was:

1. Marines + CMSF (I didn't install core version first time)

2. British 1.20

3. Patch 1.21

Is there a full Marines+British+1.21 version available for download? This should lower install time. I had to download all versions again, b'coz my old versions were somehow corrupted in HD.

There is a Marines+British bundle download available for those who purchase it.

Re: downloads. We do not offer digital storage for the games you buy. Keep that in mind, because your download ability will expire after 365 days and/or 10 downloads. You really should download once and then make a local copy (e.g. burn to disc) of the setup files because you will not be able to re-download for ever.

My copy of Shock Force has been on strike for a month. Pattern: I send an e-mail to tech services. They send auto thank you . They send standard set of questions. I answer questions. Tech services sends notice that " as they have received no answer my ticket has been canceled." I am on my third run around. This starts to smell Mike Ramaker:mad:

Well, Mike, looks like your responses are not parsed correctly into the helpdesk (there is a script doing that), or perhaps they are not reaching us at all. Instead of sending emails again and again, how about if you log in to your account at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk (the link is in the auto-reply pointing out how you can check for your ticket status online) and reply directly from there? No email involved. Which is the primary reason why we have set up this system in the first place.

Martin

Hi Mike,

I hope you don't mind if I post the conversation so far via the Helpdesk. I've sent you emails from an external account twice, but I haven't gotten any response back.

For some reason there is a communication problem from our mail server to yours. I have used my personal email account to contact you since there may be a problem with the Battlefront email server reaching you. Here is the conversation as we have it so far (it does not include automated messages concerning the ticket status):

Mike Ramaker, posted on 02 Nov 2009, 2:38PM:

I have a copy of shock force with Marines installed. I repeatedly tried to start it. Answer: Shock Force has stopped working. Twice my machine locked up and I had to restart it. Finally, I un-installed. When I re-installed and tried to re-start error message Process code 740 & shellexecute failed code 2. It won't work. Mike Ramaker.

Battlefront Support, posted on 02 Nov 2009 3:47PM:

Hi Mike,

So CMSF with the Marines module has never worked for you ? Did you purchase the base game of CMSF from Battlefront.com directly (perhaps a CMSF/Marines bundle) or is the base game from another distributor like Paradox or Gamer's Gate ?

What Windows OS are you using ? Did you ever get a license registration window for either CMSF and/or the Marine's module ? When you run the install, have you tried right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator" ? You may need to do this for both installing and running especially if you're running Windows Vista with the UAC enabled (User Account Control - typically enabled by default). For more details on UAC, here is a WikiPedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control .

You may want to disable UAC temporarily (or possibly permanently if it is an issue). Here are some instructions on doing so:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm . For full security, using the "Run as administrator" option might be the best solution.

If you have an anti-virus/firewall/internet-security application running, you may want to disable it temporarily while installing and first running the game.

Mike Ramaker, posted 16 Nov 2009, 1:47PM:

I have sent a response to your inquiries but have received no answer. mike ramaker

Battlefront Support, posted 16 Nov 2009, 2:15PM:

Hi Mike,

This was the original response on November 2nd:

So CMSF with the Marines module has never worked for you ? Did you purchase the base game of CMSF from Battlefront.com directly (perhaps a CMSF/Marines bundle) or is the base game from another distributor like Paradox or Gamer's Gate ?

What Windows OS are you using ? Did you ever get a license registration window for either CMSF and/or the Marine's module ? When you run the install, have you tried right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator" ? You may need to do this for both installing and running especially if you're running Windows Vista with the UAC enabled (User Account Control - typically enabled by default). For more details on UAC, here is a WikiPedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control .

You may want to disable UAC temporarily (or possibly permanently if it is an issue). Here are some instructions on doing so:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm . For full security, using the "Run as administrator" option might be the best solution.

If you have an anti-virus/firewall/internet-security application running, you may want to disable it temporarily while installing and first running the game.

Mike Ramaker, posted 18 Nov 2009, 12:54PM:

This is the third time I have responded to the same e-mail about a game that stopped working 3 weeks. I respond, get no response, and start at go all over again.

I bought the game from you direct. I fact that you should know. I loaded the game, activated it, and played it. I than loaded the Marine expansion, activated it, and played it. About the first of this month I started the game and my computer told me "the game had stopped working". I repeatedly tried to get it to start with no luck! Assuming I had a corrupted file I re-installed! Result ERROR MESSAGES! Process code 740 The requested file required elevation unable shell to execute shell execute failed code 2. Now nothing works!

The cancelation of Histwar has introduced me to a whole subset of unhappy Battlefront customers. Apparently my problems are common & seldom solved. I have bought many of your games & am very disappointed

Battlefront Support (from personal email account), posted 18 Nov 2009, 1:22PM:

Hi Mike,

We've responded back to you several times. I'm sending you this email from my personal account since it seems you're not getting our replies. Here is the conversation so far:

(a recounting of previous posts)

Personally I haven't seen any "Process code 740" errors with our game, so it is a new one to me.

Mike Ramaker, posted 30 Nov 2009, 2:30PM:

I have responded to each of your e-mails. You send a automated answer,

ignore my response & cancel the ticket " for no response. Your software

no longer works on my machine. Respond to my problem! Mike Ramaker

Battlefront Support, posted 30 Nov 2009, 2:53PM:

These are the only responses back that we've received. None of them mention following any of the previous suggestions and what the results were.

Another thing we can suggest is possibly changing the DEP settings. It would seem strange that this would be needed all of a sudden, but it worked for another customer who had issues with the Marine module. Follow the instructions in this Knowledgebase article:

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=62&nav=0,2

What you'll need to add to these DEP exceptions is the Marine module, which will be located at (with default installs) '/Program Files/Battlefront/Combat Mission Shock Force/Modules' and in here you'll want to list the file "CMSF Marines Module.exe".