DDhelp.exe causes error and crashes CMBB

Nicdain

Since yesterday I had no problems in running CMBB, CMBO, CMAK demo. I have a Radeon 9000 and I run the games under Win 98. smile.gif

Yesterday, loading one of the Stalingrad pack scenarios "the library", just after graphics were loaded a message has appeared saying that DDhelp.exe had caused an error and after that CMBB crashed. :confused:

It was not possible to run again CMBB,nor CMAK, nor CMBO without booting again the computer.

The strange thing is that I started CMAK demo and everything went right.

I was wondering if it is because "the library" has fog and Ati cards don't support it... :(

Any help is welcome!

Thanks

No, the non-support of fog-tables by ATI cards should not cause that problem to my knowledge. The fog just isn't visible.

The DDHelp error is related to DirectX to my knowledge. You can run the DirectX Diagnostic (dxdiag on the 'Run' command line) and see if there are any problems with DirectX (checking the Files tab). I believe, but I'm not sure that this file is only in the Win9x/ME version of DirectX. Which version of DirectX are you using and which Radeon Catalyst driver are you running ? The lastest version is 3.9 (and there's a 'Hot Fix' which is most of 3.10, too).

Can you consistenly cause this same problem by just loading up that scenario ?

While the DDHelp problem isn't specific to only CM, CMBB and CMAK seem to bring it out more often than other apps. :( Sometimes this happens because of a Direct-X problem and reinstalling Direct-X can solve it. But most times it happens because there are old ATI reg entries and files lying around. A foolproof method for removing all the ATI drivers and flotsam so you can do as clean an install as possible can be found on:

Rage3D Forums

This still may not cure it permanently, but it should at least reduce how often the crash occurs. I had this problem licked for quite a while, but then decided a few weeks ago to "upgrade" the drivers, and it popped back up again. *sigh*

BTW, if you do reinstall the drivers, be sure to remember to use Rage3D Tweak to get rid of the ZMask issue which causes real slowdowns in the game.

Hope that helps.

- Chris