Build Limits

Hubert, I don't think this question has come up yet, but will there be any changes (increase?) in build limits for the parent countries?

It seems to me with the expected map size and scope of the new game that in order for the countries to defend and/or attack a larger area or theater (possibly more cities/targets to defend?), as well as more countries involved, more units would be required. I would imagine this might also slow the game down a bit :( , but otherwise it seems to me more turns would be needed to cover the same territory. During the playtesting that is going on, has there been any issues with this? :confused:

Yes there are a build limit changes as well as combat target changes that needed to be made to not only address the larger map size but also the adjusted scale.

In terms of speed, naturally the more units and the larger the map things will slow down a bit, but the good news is that I've worked out quite a few AI optimizations over the last few weeks that now has the AI running at about double the speed of previous releases. It's actually quite fast now relatively speaking :)

I've also incorporated a new 'Quick AI Animation' option that greatly increases the playback of the AI turn. The nice thing is that you still get all the important information, i.e. popups, combat, movement etc., but animation is considerably faster for those that don't need to see the AI play out its turn in tremendously fine detail.

Hubert

Thanks, Hubert.

That makes me feel relieved. On the older SC games, I had noticed the game slowed down significantly late in turns, and I was concerned the new one could be much slower. :(

I have a Dell Dimension E510 (2.8 GHz) Pentium D with 2 Gigs RAM and Windows XP (3 years old), and have no intention of getting an upgrade right away. Hopefully the new game won't ask for more? ;)

Should be fine, actually that is almost the same system I am running and in one of my most recent tests I had the AI running some turns in 1944 at under 5 minutes with turns in 1940 running at around 2-3 minutes... so hopefully that gives you an idea of just how fast it is playing now with all the recent improvements :)