Possibel bug in Mac-demo vs Win-full version

Hello,

One of our new reqruits at the Rugged Defense had the following question:

>RHi Bertram,

>Good to hear.

>I have a questions.

>Is possible play a game PBEM whith CMBB MAc >Demo 1,01 vs Win full 1,01?

>If your answer is Yes; I don't understand >because befall this:

>Win full 1,01 read file PBEM produce at Mac >demo 1,01

>Mac demo 1,01 don't read produce at Win full >1,01 (and error is "File is Meant for >different edition of Combat Mission)

>I say: my CMBB is old.

>But I have a 1,01 Mac demo version (download >in data 26/12/2003, the cmbb_demo_mac_ENG.sit >date is 16/12/2003

>and CM Barbarossa to Berlin DEMO info date >create 14/11/2002)

>TIA

>Alberto (Berto)

It seems from his post that he could read a Mac-demo file with his Windows full version, but failed when he tried the reverse.

It seems to me that the Windows full version should not read the Mac demo version at all (that would also avoid some confusion), and that was the answer I send him.

I can not try myself if the Windows full version indeed can read the Mac demo version, or that something else has happened (having no Mac handy), so I thought to dump it here.

Bertram

[ January 09, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Bertram ]

Hi Schrullenhaft,

Yes, I know, thats what I answered him. His post isn't to clear (he is Italian) but as I understood a friend of him downloaded the Mac-demo, and they tried to set up a pbem game. Strange thing is that he reported the Windows version *could* read the Mac demo file.....

I can't check if this is true (or maybe only true having a CDV Win version?) as I have no Mac, but I thought you might want to know, and maybe try it yourself, as if it is true, it is 'not as intended'.

Bertram

I wouldn't be surprised with a full version reading the file. However the reverse won't work. Having the Demo read a PBEM file/turn created from the full version is something that won't happen (even if the game had originated on the Demo). Generally you just get an error message of 'wrong version' (which is what he's seeing apparently).