Query re. ammo replenishment

Hi There,

Been playing CMSF a couple of weeks. Great game. The best. Got a question:

Ammo - how do you replenish a vehicle's ammo? I had a Brit Scimitar run dry. I sent its crew to a nearby AV and instructed them to AQUIRE ammo and then got them back in their Scimitar - but the GUI was still showing the Scimitar as dry. What did I do wrong?

Many thanks for help - and apologies if this covered elsewhere.

Yeah it's a shame but I guess accurate. Infantry can replenish small arms ammunition on the fly, mid-action if necessary. Vehicle ammunition would be handled differently I presume. But it does beg the question, why would vehicles (or tanks in particular) be sent into missions in the campaign either without a main gun, or without main gun ammunition. That doesn't really make sense.

I understand where you are coming from here but would you really want to try loading a vehicle with fuel and ammunition in the middle of a firefight bearing in mind the amount of explosives and/or flammable material you would be dealing with?

While I have not yet played a campaign it might be that there was need for your command to be sent on a new mission very shortly after the battle you just completed without time to resupply. In a campaign, as in the real world, you need to consider the requirements of the next battle you will fight as well as this one and might want to look at conserving forces and supplies.

I think the main problem here is not replenishing ammunition once in battle, it is simply being allocated tanks and vehicles to fight the next battle, (which will occur at least 24 hours later remember), without main gun ammunition. It's suicide! I had some AFVs continue with me throughout a couple of missions in the Brit campaign, one had a knocked out main gun and one had no main gun ammunition at all, so he was a sitting duck and next to useless. This is not realistic in my eyes. Even if the next mission was within the same day, the command would surely pull the damaged/depleted AFV from the front-line.

I could see a situation where there would be no ammo. Just because a force sweeps through an area, doesn't mean it's secure. So it is possible that a column could have advanced beyond their supply line. Remember the invasion of Iraq. There were HUGE columns of support and supply vehicles miles and miles long behind the main fighting force. This support/supply column was constantly harassed.

So it's not too far from reality to suggest that some damaged or ammo-less vehicles would be stuck with the formation as a liability. This can add a dimension to the scenario, meaning that you have to protect the helpless ones as well as defeat the enemy. Now, if there was a lull between battles, I, as commander, would probably want to share ammo amongst vehicles, not wanting to leave any helpless if at all possible.