Windows 7

Copper

Your Obviously Ahead of the Curve Guys :)

"Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp."

Your Obviously Ahead of the Curve Guys :)

"Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp."

Was quite easy to get it to run in all honesty. If I rememeber correctly I only had to set my locale to US (I'm in Europe) and the Boot Camp drivers worked in Win 7. Installing W7 wasn't any problem at all.

It's been known for quite a while that Win 7 runs without any major hitches under the current version of Boot Camp. Boot Camp hasn't been "officially updated" to Win 7 compatibility, but it works just the same.

What Apple's statement means is that they haven't yet checked everything under the hood to make sure Boot Camp runs Win 7 exactly as it should. Obviously, it would be difficult for Apple to complete this while the Win 7 code was still in Beta. Now that the Win 7 code is final, Apple will check to make sure everything is running as it should, and release a new version of Boot Camp that is "officially" compatible with Boot Camp.

question is:

What the point of paying top dollar for a mac?

then paying again for windows to turn mac into PC?

BTW win7 virtual mode runs mac OS in it iirc

Well for me its only an interim measure while BTS / BFC finishes its development work on CM:SF - Mac (or whatever its going to be called) then I for one will be recovering the space currently allocated to a Windows partition.

question is:

What the point of paying top dollar for a mac?

then paying again for windows to turn mac into PC?

BTW win7 virtual mode runs mac OS in it iirc

Well, if you really want to know, it's because I vastly prefer OSX to Windows, but I have a few legacy programs that I need to run in Windows. Since I already had a copy of XP, it was basically free for me to set up the windows partition in Boot Camp, which I use only very occasionally for aforementioned legacy programs, and also CM gaming.

As for so-called "Hackintosh" implementions of OSX running on non-Apple hardware, there are several ways to do this, which work to varying degrees of reliability. None of them are as reliable as a true-blue Mac, though. And to me, on of the major selling points of getting a Mac is the reliability. I'd just go back to Windows as my primary OS before I'd do a Hackintosh.