Tank Coax MG lethality dialed down?

Just got through reading "The March Up" about the First Marines Division invasion experience in Iraq.

In one engagement near an Iraqi urban area the author(s) describes how a lone M1 repeatedly snipes individual irregular troops near a marketplace using individual rounds and the tanks outstanding optics system. Basically using the MG as a sniper rifle at a 400 meter range.

This seemed like a fairly extreme example to me of just how deadly the detection and sighting systems are in a modern combat vehicle.

We don't see this level of accuracy/effect in CMSF for armored vehicles. In fact, I've found it's often necessary to fire several bursts at much shorter ranges to hit enemy soldiers.

Is this disparity between CMSF performance and the scenario described above for game balance purposes or are there other variables at work?

Yes, accuracy is lowered a bunch to abstract a lot of factors. So it's unusual means to get a to more statistically accurate lethality, that's what I think they are doing (and so not perfect in every situation). Still seems a bit low to me, but that's only from my experience with Steel Beasts Professional.

Is this disparity between CMSF performance and the scenario described above for game balance purposes or are there other variables at work?

They assume that during an actual firefight, people will take precautions to avoid precisely that. Unlike the juiceheads in question.

I notice pretty low lethality with all MGs in CM:SF, with the exception of M2HB which seems to have a little "splash" damage, especially against buldings. 99% of my MG use is in the area fire role against known enemy positions not necessarily seen by the gunner. I also wish MG fire would spray a little more rather than what looks like all bullets from a burst hitting in the exact same spot.

Just got through reading "The March Up" about the First Marines Division invasion experience in Iraq.

In one engagement near an Iraqi urban area the author(s) describes how a lone M1 repeatedly snipes individual irregular troops near a marketplace using individual rounds and the tanks outstanding optics system. Basically using the MG as a sniper rifle at a 400 meter range.

Rereading the book now, there was also a portion during which 15-20 Fedayeen, as singles or pairs, fled across a road in plain view of a platoon of M1A1s and not one was hit.

The Marines were surprised how quickly they dashed across the road that was the kill zone the Kilo Company tanks were covering--they ran with the sprinter's speed of the desperate. Not one Iraqi was shot crossing the road, something the riflemen didn't let the tankers forget.

The other end of the spectrum, as it were.