Can Wespe units be used in an indirect fire mode

Currently playing the German side in the "Brits at Anzio" scenario.

The Germans have multiple Wespe Self Propelled Artillary vehicles.

Is there any way to use them in an indirect fire mode?

This was not an assault gun or tank destroyer and usually wasn't used in a direct fire role.

Thanks for any assistance.

Unfortunately no. Indirect fire is catered for by the arty modules (in this case 105mm).

You can, if the circumstances are right, aim for a high point on the ground between your gun and the target and get the occassional miss to overshoot and hit a reverse slope target, but it isn't easily done as you have to match the ballistic path of the shell to the terrain and target location.

The latest version of CMSF has introduced semi-indirect fire for mortars and arty (i.e. shooting at a location just out of sight) and we're expecting this to be in the CMx2 WW2 titles.

The map sizes in CM and I suspect CM*2 I would think would preclude indirect fire. The maximum elevation on a Wespe is 42 degrees and max range normally 8400metres.

Given borg spotting is already a problem I think this might make it considerably worse if indirect fire was included AND the terrain was such that one could lob shells over ridges. Plunging fire I just cannot see happening on the small CM areas.

Tried to look up the crossover range from direct fire to indirect fire for the Wespe and the leFH 18 M upon which it's based, but failed miserably. All I could find listed was maximum range. ISTR, though, that minimum indirect fire range for the 15 cm SiG 33 was within CMBB board size limits, but failed to win the point. Believe it had to do with game coding.

Regards,

John Kettler