CMSF - A VERY beautiful wargame

Well, even after two years playing this game, I still get the 'WOW!' factor from time to time. This morning I was playtesting a mission I'm working on and I took a small series of screenshots that illustrate the oft overlooked (even maligned by some) beauty of this wargame. I say wargame for a wargame it is!

This mission features a US IBCT performing a company sized attack on a Syrian airbase at night under clear starry skies and a full moon. A pall of smoke hangs over a MG bunker just destroyed by a javelin team.

Minakh2.jpg

In the early stages of the mission, the first platoons to arrive must secure their LZ from Syrian defenders. Having suppressed the Syrian defensive positions they are able to cross the main runway.

Minakh4.jpg

Pushing deeper into the airbase to secure the facilities they encounter the main Syrian defensive positions the squads split into teams and use Infantry SMOKE grenades to conceal their movements.

Minakh5.jpg

more to come in a minute...

Minakh1.jpg

It is possible to create very realistic looking, dynamic combat environments even with the arid terrain textures CMSF currently features. Just how much more beautiful will the environments be when we get the temperate textures? I am particularly looking forward to seeing CMSF2 which will be set in a temperate environment.

Next screenshot shows US troops assaulting towards a Syrian strongoint. A spotting mortar round explodes near a Syrian MG team.

Minakh3.jpg

And a warning for those delicate little petals who like to play wargames that have been sanitised of violence... look away gentle things because the next screenshot features graphic violence and may shock you.

US troops open fire on Syrian soldiers fleeing from their fierce onslaught.

Minakh7.jpg

Are you using a "mod" of sorts?

The screenshots are 100% untouched. Cropped, but otherwise untouched. It would be a fraud to touch them up first and then say to folks "Look how beautiful this game is!" :)

I only play the game with all the graphics settings maxxed out because the game looks so damned good when they're set there. What you see in those screenshots is what you will get when you play with those settings. I also play Real Time and I often follow the action right up close, just like you're seeing in those screenshots. (Another reason why I prefer smaller 'Company sized' actions as opposed to Battalion actions.)

One point that I'd like to make is that these graphics don't come at the expense of the gameplay at all. Personally, I think this game is far more sophisticated than the CMx1 engine ever was. For those folks who gave CMSF a miss because they didn't like the Syria/Modern Era setting (or whatever) you've got a lot to look forward to when the WW2 title arrives sometime next year.

Are you using a "mod" of sorts?

One point that I'd like to make is that these graphics don't come at the expense of the gameplay at all. Personally, I think this game is far more sophisticated than the CMx1 engine ever was. For those folks who gave CMSF a miss because they didn't like the Syria/Modern Era setting (or whatever) you've got a lot to look forward to when the WW2 title arrives sometime next year.

I'll second that. Beautiful pics.