Victory, how?

Rik81

I didn't see anything in the manual defining how victory is achieved? Is the only way the total elimination of the opposing forces? Could we not have some variable victory goals, such as amount of resources garnered, cities controlled, etc. etc. Perhaps even a "time limit" such as nnn turns and then a score given based on cities/resources etc.?

The first page of tutorial says:

and a day! Especially on a large map. I would at least like to see some options, such as setting a time limit (number of turns) then evaluting "degree of victory", like some games have. It could be based on the relative percent of cities controlled.

I didn't see anything in the manual defining how victory is achieved? Is the only way the total elimination of the opposing forces? Could we not have some variable victory goals, such as amount of resources garnered, cities controlled, etc. etc. Perhaps even a "time limit" such as nnn turns and then a score given based on cities/resources etc.?

Yes, the only victory condition is when one player (or one team) controls all the owned cities on the map. (It's okay if there are still neutral cities on the map.) Typically, if you control most of the map, the AI will offer to concede the game.

As far as alternate victory conditions go, I'll take that as a suggestion for future development, but it's not something that will be available on game release (unless there's a huge demand for it).