New file at the Repository: Paradise Road Mk III (2009-09-25)

• 2 weeks later...

I got around to playing this map for the first time, last night.

My GOD. There were times when I was actually yelling at my laptop.

"GET IN THE DAMN BULDING!"

"SHOOT AT HIM!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

Is it me or do US Army snipers totally SUCK in game?

If you have an M110 SASS with a 10x scope, there's no reason why you should miss a 300m shot. Even an UNTRAINED 'sniper' could make that hit. Hell I'm an officer and even I've made 400m shots with an ACOG and an M4. Its very frustrating.

Other than that, pretty damn intense scenario. Those damn Milan missles were firing at my dismount squads. There were several times that I lost 75% of a squad to a missle.

Just when I got a foot hold on the western side of the city, I felt as if there was an endless supply of insurgents surging on me.

Pretty intense scenario. Just a few changes I would make.

Maybe more airpower..In reality, in a fight that big you've given a large pool of resources..in other words, your arty doesnt go 'empty'

Pretty funny that the brief says no collateral damage, especially with the mosque. Hahahaha. First thing I did was call in 2x A10's on that f*cker.

Thanks for the comments. Not afraid of the bad press, are you? :D

Just curious, did you score a victory?

I rechecked the US snipers' setting and realized it was 'veteran' instead of 'elite', as it should be. Mea culpa. :o

I've already uploaded an updated version (Mk IIIa) with the correct experience setting. (Those who've already downloaded the scenario can simply set the US Sniper setting to 'elite' themselves if they don't want to redownload. In the unit editor look for "2-87 Batallion - A Company - Sniper Team" and set experience to 'elite'). Hope that increases their performance.

About limiting fire support - that was a design decision, I didn't want to make the scenario too easy. The other option would be to give more fire support and increase the penalty for collateral damage - so far, something I've been reluctant to do for a couple of reasons.

Some buildings don't have their doors placed to the convenience of the player. If you forget checking for a suitable entrance, your guys can end up running around the building looking for a door.

And if the ATGMs are killing off your squads, you can try to use split squads to reduce casualties somewhat.

[snipers] shouldnt have to be set on 'elite' or 'crack' to be dropping guys at 300m. Game flaw, not map.

Yeah, Elite snipers should be able to drop guys (at least stationary ones, such as machine-gunners and TCs) at the max range of their particular rifle (even beyond). Unfortunately, what with how the game is designed, at such range(s) a sniper (team) can't even spot a target that isn't moving (and thus is effectively impossible to hit, even by an Elite sniper).

Great mission, by the way, birdstrike! Challenging and fun! =)

Thanks for the comments. Not afraid of the bad press, are you? :D

Just curious, did you score a victory?

I did NOT score a victory even though I had destroyed the resistance and held the road. I was pretty bummed. Lost like 30 guys too.

Went back to play it again last night.

Changed my strategy up a little bit too. Disregarded the collateral damage. Just called in mortar fire on the whole damn place, including the mosque. Had my gun trucks on line just rattling the place with 50cal. Then moved my dismounts in along the left flank. Cleared the little resistance remaining.

Secured the road and had about 10 minutes remaining in the scenario.

Low and behold it didnt say I WON, but said 'Unconventional Minor Defeat' or something to that matter.

The post wasnt a gripe. I didnt mean for you to go changing stuff.

I thought it was a damn good mission.

I was just overall upset with the sniper thing..They shouldnt have to be set on 'elite' or 'crack' to be dropping guys at 300m. Game flaw, not map.

No offense taken. :) In fact, I totally understand: as a gamer I always want more firepower than I get, but as scenario designer one is always much more reluctant to add too much. :D

And the snipers in the scenario should have been elite in the first place -they were set to veteran by accident - I must've changed their experience setting along with the rest of the batallion at some point.

Low and behold it didnt say I WON, but said 'Unconventional Minor Defeat' or something to that matter.

That's strange - it should say something like U.S. defeat/victory/whatever. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Anyway, thanks again for the comments, much appreciated. And I'm glad you liked it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just started the newest version. I always loved this battle, and always found it very tough indeed - in fact, always got beaten.

This looks even tougher! But great fun. I'm totally determined to beat it, but my initial strategy has so far proven to be pitifully inadequate.

That's one very cool mosque design, too.