CMx1 games

patboy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a wargame CMBB is probably unsurpassed in its content. What else could you play from 1941 to 1945 and have so many units included. Also the infantry abstraction seems to work better than the CMSF 1-1-ish portrayal.

However, CMBB looks and feels dated after playing CMSF and at 1.2 this game has never felt better to play. There are a few things that guys want, QBs etc, but me, I was never a QB fan anyways.

In some ways, CM-1 games are easier to play, the right mouse click for example, but CMSF introduces the mouse wheel command which is so much better.

So back to the question, yes, I still play CM-1 games, but CMSF is when everything is taken into account a much slicker game and although I dont think of it as a Sim, it is as close as anything you will get right now and definitely gets my vote, oh and it also looks good too.

Storm4.jpg

I can certainly understand why some folks are uninterested in the Syrian setting. However, CMSF has turned out to be very very good wargame indeed and it's a bit of a shame that some folks will pass it up simply because it's in the desert. Frankly, you've missed lot. Even in the arid setting, the game looks utterly gorgeous. I can see a lot of folks who turned away from CMSF coming back for the WW2 title with their mouths open in awe. Since it will be using the very mature CMSF game engine, you can look forward to some very rewarding game experiences indeed next year, especially after the initial release bugs get wrinkled out (of course there will be). But until it arrives, I guess CMBB will rule for a lot of folks.

As a wargame CMBB is probably unsurpassed in its content. What else could you play from 1941 to 1945 and have so many units included.

unsurpassed? IIRC Steel Panthers contains something like 1939-1999. i think i played some Spanish civil war scenarios, so timespan covered might be wider.

just one more reason for BFC to conclude that it's impossible to satisfy the wargamers. :)

I think Steel Panthers III Brigade Command covered 1939-1999 (although the countries available in WW2 and later decades were different, ie. no modern Finns in the original), while original Steel Panthers contained "only" 1939-1945 and Steel Panthers 2 1950-1999. SPMBT covers something like 1950-2020, I think that's the winner...

Of course, that is still nothing compared to something like Norm Koger's Age of Rifles which can do pretty much the whole 19th century, all the way to the Boer and Russo-Japanese wars. Ah, the good old crazily wide (although, as a result, often not quite as detailed/accurate as you'd have wished) SSI games...

I think Steel Panthers III Brigade Command covered 1939-1999 (although the countries available in WW2 and later decades were different, ie. no modern Finns in the original), while original Steel Panthers contained "only" 1939-1945 and Steel Panthers 2 1950-1999. SPMBT covers something like 1950-2020, I think that's the winner...

thanks for corrections. i still play WinSPMBT and SPWAW, but haven't really thought about covered dates.

Of course, that is still nothing compared to something like Norm Koger's Age of Rifles which can do pretty much the whole 19th century, all the way to the Boer and Russo-Japanese wars. Ah, the good old crazily wide (although, as a result, often not quite as detailed/accurate as you'd have wished) SSI games...

didn't ever play Age of Rifles, but i played the one of the series that covered 20th century. i remember it as a fun game.