So..Battlefront, Am I Screwed If I get a brand new Radeon card?

Here's the deal...

ATI has a cool new card out, which I'm looking to buy because of the great new 3d games coming out(e.g., Doom 3, Halflife, etc.). However, my favorite game still is Combat Mission.

Big bummer, though, is that no fog is supported by ATI. At least, thats what the CM Faq says. The Bottom Line: do I have to get the new power-sucky Nvidia card, or is THERE ANY HOPE at all for CM to work as advertised (e.g., normally) with the new ATI Cards?

Seriously, guys. this sucks.

Nah, the fog is a big immersion factor, worth the effort.

I've read some great things about the GF 6800GT card, which isn't quite as fast as the Ultra, but still doubles your frames rates and only requires a single Molex connector and a 350 watt power supply.

Also - you might think more along the lines of the future (CMX2). Traditionally Nvidia has dominated in games programmed in OpenGL 3-D apps, which CMX2 is being coded in...

Note that for DooM3 VNidia cards seem to be the better bang for the buck than ATI. I read initial DooM3 benchmarks yesterday. Didn't keep the link but it was fairly extension, with CPUs from XP 2500+ to newer PCI express machines. Anyone has the link?

Just in case all the driver trouble didn't convince you yet that NVidia would be the better option even if it had less performance for the dollar...

Here is the article I mentioned, showing that ATI won't be better for the buck than NVidia for DooM3:

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

I always buy NVidia after multiple negative experiences with ATI, thinking I would happily pay a little more for the same performance to have less trouble.

Thing is, I never came across anything where NVidia would actually be slower smile.gif