LMTV and Hummer Night Vision

OK....turned the 'Mouse Trap' scenario into a night mission and noticed something odd.

While the Jackal was happily blazing away at spotted targets with both .50 cal and 7.62 fire almost from the start of the mission, the LMTV couldn't see squat.....not even a ? spot.

Also the Hummer 7.62 never achieved more than a couple of ? spots.

Even though enemy combatants got close enough to the LMTV to start pinging rounds off the vehicle and gun shields (subsequently giving the gunner a light wound), the LMTV remained silent without a single spot. The GUI tells me the LMTV units have night vision, so why are they totally blind? Also, why does the Jackal have such a superior spotting capability than either the Humvee 7.62 or the LMTV?

Possible bug?

Just did a test with a platoon of LMTV's vs. a platoon of BTR's. It took several seconds for the BTR's to start spotting the LMTV's, but then they started turning them into swiss cheese. The LMTV's were totally blind....this was at ridiculously short ranges....100 meters or so.

I dismounted the crew from one of the surviving trucks and within a few moments they spotted all 4 of the BTR's. So it seems to affect the truck crews when they are mounted in the vehicles.

Same test vs. Syrian Militia.

Two Syrian squads and a platoon HQ.

After several moments, started taking small arms fire and RPG's at about 250 meters. LMTV's no contacts whatsoever. After losing one LMTV to an RPG, I dismounted all the crews and they proceeded to cut the Syrians up with small arms fire.

This test was run at 8:30 PM game time. Once out of the vehicles, the crews were more than a match for the Syrians who couldn't get a spot.

Inside the trucks, the crews might as well have been the Hellen Keller platoon.

This is true for MTVRs, Humvees, Land Rovers and UAZs as well (any vehicle without optics I believe, regardless of whether or not crew have NVGs). I have noticed before that vehicles without their own optics are basically blind at night and assumed it was an engine limitation. Dismount their crews and they will instantly spot way more targets much faster, even stuff they are basically on top of in the open. I thought that this was because either:

1. Crew/mounted infantry NODs are ignored when in a vehicle.

or less likely

2. A vehicle behaves as only a single set of eyes with NVGs versus all the eyes of the unit when dismounted (but the difference between 1 set of eyes (mounted) and 3 sets of eyes (dismounted) seems too drastic for this to be the case).

or a combination of the two (a sensorless vehicle is just one set of eyes without any enhanced spotting regardless of crew NODs).

The Jackal is considered to have "optics," so the above does not apply.

#1 is a possibility, if you account for the problem not being replicated when the Jackals were coded. They have no problems spotting at all.......

I edited my reply. Note that Jackals have "optics" under their equipment tab. They are not in the same group as the others above.

Hmmmm...you're right...and the vehicle in the Mouse Trap scenario was actually a TUM WMIK and not a Jackal. The TUM WMIK also has 'optics'.

This seems to be the deciding factor. Doesn't explain why troops night vision doesn't work behind a gun shield, but it is consistent to the optics rule.