So I gave Radnarak Valley Search another go...

... as a part of my ongoing quest to go through old scenarios and find inventive ways to destroy the scenario balance using new features. For starters, dismounting the M2HB and putting it up on the hill just out of the blue spawn sure does get the snipers to STFD/STFU. It also manages to knock about a few technicals as they race away from the onslaught. Pretty cool.

Dismounted TOWs are not as awesome... until you get them a good line of sight overwatching known problem areas. Then the snipers really STFD, generally because their roof collapsed underneath them. That being said, holy crap, their accuracy is something between 25%-33%. And the setup/breakdown times... yeah. Terrible and nothing at all like the LAV-AT/Stryker ATGM which will utterly ruin Red (or Brit :)) armor as long as they are hull down.

The only bummer was that you apparently can't dismount the MK19. Intentional design decision? Reflection of the fact that it was a "command" vic so they weren't the types to haul around a MK19? Bug? Oversight?

What is the formation the mounted Mk19s belong to? I have a suspicion as to what's going on, but that will tell me for sure.

My guess is that you're trying to dismount a "dedicated" mounted weapon and not a crew served one that happens to be mounted. There's a difference. According to doctrine the Heavy Weapons crews, which are purposefully organized to man a particular weapon system, can do so mounted or dismounted. Everybody else is just driving around in a vehicle which happens to have a weapons system mounted on it. They perform some other function and, therefore, are by definition not Heavy Weapons crews.

As with many things, I'm sure that in real life the line is far more blurry than how we have it. In that weapons are dismounted from vehicles which, technically speaking, aren't intended or designated to be dismounted. But we can't simulate the real world restrictions on such activities so we instead draw a hard line and say "yes" to the technically correct practice, "no" to improvised uses.

Steve

What is the formation the mounted Mk19s belong to? I have a suspicion as to what's going on, but that will tell me for sure.

The element of the CAAT Plt that shows up as five minute reinforcement. I assume it's the command vic because the leader of the group is a 2LT and as far as I know there's only one officer for your guys' CAAT Plt.

My guess is that you're trying to dismount a "dedicated" mounted weapon and not a crew served one that happens to be mounted. There's a difference. According to doctrine the Heavy Weapons crews, which are purposefully organized to man a particular weapon system, can do so mounted or dismounted. Everybody else is just driving around in a vehicle which happens to have a weapons system mounted on it. They perform some other function and, therefore, are by definition not Heavy Weapons crews.

As with many things, I'm sure that in real life the line is far more blurry than how we have it. In that weapons are dismounted from vehicles which, technically speaking, aren't intended or designated to be dismounted. But we can't simulate the real world restrictions on such activities so we instead draw a hard line and say "yes" to the technically correct practice, "no" to improvised uses.

Steve

I got you. I was just wondering because otherwise the feature works flawlessly and allows me to do all sorts of stupid things I couldn't do before.

• 3 weeks later...